Best Uses of Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManHouston

Reaction score
I bought a pack of 1187 a little while back thinking I would try it in the next batch of my brown ale. Wondering what other styles people are using this strain in with good results.

I have used this in both 60 and 90 minute IPA clones with tremendous success. I've made both recipes numerous times and they were fantastic beers. Helps that I made something to dispense the hops as well as I don't like having to do 60 or 90 additions.

photo-3-1.jpg

I think I want to make the 60 again now that you mention it. Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Ringwood is a great strain, it makes excellent IPA's, browns, porters, stouts, and some very nice English pale ales. It can be a bit finicky at times and will produce a bit of diacetyl if you let it. Ferment it cool for malty, neutral flavor or at the higher end for lots of fruit esters. Give it a nice diacetyl rest regardless.

Very cool thing ya got there Irrenarzt!

I have a blonde ale and an IPA scheduled as my next two brews. Sounds like ringwood could be an interesting choice for the IPA at least.

I'd love to see a thread about the build of... whatever that thing is. I get that it's probably a continuous hopping machine but can't really figure out WTF is going on there. Looks awesome though.

Irrenarzt said:
I have used this in both 60 and 90 minute IPA clones with tremendous success. I've made both recipes numerous times and they were fantastic beers. Helps that I made something to dispense the hops as well as I don't like having to do 60 or 90 additions.

I think I want to make the 60 again now that you mention it. Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Dude, that looks awesome!

Ringwood is a great strain, it makes excellent IPA's, browns, porters, stouts, and some very nice English pale ales. It can be a bit finicky at times and will produce a bit of diacetyl if you let it. Ferment it cool for malty, neutral flavor or at the higher end for lots of fruit esters. Give it a nice diacetyl rest regardless.

Very cool thing ya got there Irrenarzt!

Danke. Appreciate the prop. It does work well.

1187 can and has been used for almost any ale style. From American Wheats to Russian Imperial stouts.

It does like to have lots of oxygen injected into the wort and it really should be slightly over pitched. It is a very fast worker and floculates like crazy.

In brewpubs this was a wonder yeast for a bit. Full fermentation in as quick as three days. Cool it down to 40 F and it will drop bright in another few days.

For a Blonde Ale or American wheat, if you aerate well and pitch large quantities, you can go from grain to glass in 7-10 days.

I just used Ringwood in a DFH Shelter Pale Ale clone. It was a dead on clone. Got the recipe from BYO 250. Can't wait to do the 60 Minute IPA with this yeast. I've been using London ESB for the 60 and it is also good but not a dead on clone. The recipe I have for 90 minute calls for Whitbread Ale Yeast. Anyone have experience with that yeast?

Today is my first experience with 1187, doing my own take on hocus pocus. Can anyone explain to me exactly why a diacetyl rest is or how it's done? I've read something about raising temp by 10 degrees?

Back