Best time to add Brettanomyces lambicus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattTheBrewer

Reaction score
LOL well a started this thread a little late im just finnishing a sparge and starting the boil BUT when is the best time to add this wild yeast and what are the differences going to be? origanaly i was thinking to add it about 24 hours after bitching my standard yeast, or maybe at the same time? Ive never used this yeast before and was going to give it a whirl.

Depends on what kind of Character you want. You could always ferment it with regular yeast and secondary ferment it with the brett or you could be brave and use the brett as a primary ferment yeast and ditch the regular yeast.

Me personally Ive used brett 3 times so far and ive used it as a primary yeast and have had great results

Well im going way out of my way to make a sweet chocolate cherry stout. i picked brett because the brew catalog said it left a fruity cherry like flavor... For the recipe i picked 8# Golden Promise, #1 british chocolate, #1 caramel 120 and #.5 carafoam. Mash was at 157 degrees and i used .25oz. warrior hops 15.4%AA 60 min boil, .5oz 2min. boil and .25oz. added right after boil. i am going to add maybe as much as 8oz. coaco and boil 10min. my normal yeast is Wyeast London Ale III. i think im going to add brett after 24 hours. after primary fermentation i am going to add a large can of cherries from the brew shop in a second 6gal carboy and that is going to kick off another heavy fermentation then rack the beer in a 5gal carboy for at least 2 months then bottle and age another couple months... Whooooo well thats how its planned at least. Everything was selected for ether its sweetness, fruity/cherry flavor or its chocolaty flavar. The carafoam is for the stout to have a heavy head. I got really nervous with a warrior hops, ive never brewed with hops that have such a large amount of alpha acids. I didnt want much of a hoppy flavor added just some bittering, but the coaco bowder is going to add some bitterness also, so we will have to see how everything turns out im really looking forward to it.

Back