Best temperature controller for keeper and fermentation fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhammers91

Reaction score
I currently keep three kegs inside a spare fridge in the garage. I am looking to build a keezer when I can find a chest freezer for the right price. Once I get the freezer, I would like to use the spare fridge as a fermentation chamber so that I can brew any type of beer all year round. My bday is coming up so I thought about asking for two temperature controllers. One for my future keezer, and one for my fermentation fridge. I was just wondering what would be the best for this situation. I was looking at the Johnson digital controllers, but due to my inexperience with temp controllers, I'm not really sure what too look for and what to ask for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For the keezer, a single-stage controller would be adequate, but for year-around use of the fermentation fridge you really want a dual-stage controller so you can hook up a low wattage heat source.

That said, there's an advantage to having identical controllers if the premium is modest, and in this case you could buy a pair of STC-1000 controllers (price under $20 each), add in some wiring (which you can find right here on HBT), and be able to swap controllers should troubleshooting be necessary...

Cheers!

Back