Best setup for soldering/welding a sight glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I'm setting up a keggle and have already dimpled and silver soldered a coupler in for the valve.

Now I need to add a sight glass. I have the sight glass setup from BargainFittings.

I punched a hole and dimpled it for the sight glass. I was planning to solder in a half coupling.

However, I've run into a slight snag. The 1/2" make pipe thread on the sight glass 90 degree fitting only threads into my half couplings two or three threads. I'm not worried about a leak, but even with the half coupling I'm leaving a ton of female threads in there for gunk to build up in during the boil. It doesn't help either that a sight glass doesn't really have any flow going through it to move junk out.

I can go ahead with my original idea and just plan to be really vigilant about cleaning those threads, but I wanted to check and see if anyone had a better solution? I can probably hammer the dimple out and go with a weldless setup, but I was trying to get away from that.

Thanks

My thought on that is, your boiling the kettle for at least an hour, so there won't be any bacteria or mold alive in the threads. Just rinse and sanitize it right after use. Threads can be an issue in a fermenter, I think your fine with the boiler.

Back