Best response to telling someone you homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Oh you brew your own beer? My father died of alcoholism".....awkwardddddd
Side note: I had an experience like that once, not about beer though.

A girl I'm in college with is in 3 of my 4 classes so we're always studying together and what not. We're in our science lecture and the prof shows statistics about how often men die of prostate cancer. She looks at me and says "ha ha, I don't have to worry about that". I look her dead in the eye and say "two words: breast cancer". Her expression turns to one of complete anger, "My mother died of breast cancer". We just sat there for a bit. *****, you started it.

"I like dark beers like guinness and yuengling."

Is usually what people tell me when they try to impress me with their vast beer taste. I want to reply with "go away."

Luckily living within 10 miles of 4 breweries and lots of brew pubs helps people in Milwaukee that I hang out with to know a little about beer, just b.c a tour is a quick/cheap way to get drunk or start a night. But I do love the "is it illegal" my response: "Do you think I care?" STill though most friends I have found even if they are die hard high life or PBR fans (which I am too) are pretty pumped to get a free 6er any time I brew a new batch.

my normal 1st comment is, "so how much do you sell it for" (6pack costs 24empties, I haven't upgraded to kegging yet)

Although, this weekend someone tried my brand new stout, "wow, that tastes a lot like soy sauce, I bet it would be great on rice" then she chugged the rest of the beer.

But my best of all time
Drunk over competitive friend: "Dude, we should have a brew-off this weekend, I would kick your ass!"
Me: "It takes over 2 months to make beer"
Him: "F***, can you drive me to the liquor store, I'm sobering up"

A good friend of mine tried to get me into brewing for a year or so, but I felt I didn't have the space. He became fed up and bought a Mr. Beer, and for some reason that set me down the path.

A week later I went to the homebrew store to "Just look around" and then startled my girlfriend by dropping $110 on a starter kit and my first batch. My buddy was a little cranky at me for out doing him, but insisted that his Mr. Beer was comprable to my set up and that he enjoyed saving space (we both live in tiny apartments in downtown Portland).

After a couple of stutter steps (left my glass carboy out in full sunlight so I could watch it ferment) I started making quality beer. My buddy, not so much.

Flash forward a couple of months and I ask if he wants me to make him a birthday batch, and he asks for a Blackberry wheat. I spent $70 on ingredients (I was extract brewing at this point) and made him five gallons of way too strong (8.5%) and way over berried (I hadn't found you folks yet) beer.

I take it to his party where our friends were a mixture of people we both knew and some of his friends I didn't see very often. Our mixed friends were quite used to the difference between his and my beers.

When the friends of his I don't hang out with tasted my brew their eyes grew wide and they said:

"Wow, this tastes like real beer!"

Then they got very scared/sad looking as they realized what they had just said about my buddy and his Mr. Beer creations.

Boo Mr. Beer!

I remember my dad. I got really no response, but he did not seem excited. I gave him a six pack for father's day a few months later. Again, not really excited, as he did not really drink much beer. 4 hours later he called and said, "Wow, I think I will start drinking beer again".

Now before a family get together I get a voice mail saying. "I have six empty, I repeat empty bottles. Can I exchange them for 6 full, repeat full bottles of beer"

Last time I was at his house he said, Do you want any of this swill (BMC), I have not drank it since I got your beer. He now has guests who ask if my beer is there.

I remember my dad. I got really no response, but he did not seem excited. I gave him a six pack for father's day a few months later. Again, not really excited, as he did not really drink much beer. 4 hours later he called and said, "Wow, I think I will start drinking beer again".

Now before a family get together I get a voice mail saying. "I have six empty, I repeat empty bottles. Can I exchange them for 6 full, repeat full bottles of beer"

Last time I was at his house he said, Do you want any of this swill (BMC), I have not drank it since I got your beer. He now has guests who ask if my beer is there.

That is just outstanding! Way to go Dad!!! :ban:

EVERYONE in my family constantly likes to tell me about when my dad was my age and he and his friends decided to make beer and got really sick making it. Clearly they were retards in the 70s and didn't do things correctly but that doesn't stop ALL of my relatives from reminding me how sick my dad and his friends got and that they'll never drink my beer.

I just smile and nod through the diatribe then say "Alright, more for me then!"

I had a 67 or something old patient the other day and my colleague told her I brew my own beer.
"Well are you drunk now?"
"No, it's only 10 am!"
"Never stopped my husband, god bless him."
Kinda threw me off guard, especially now she was thinking about her husband who passed. Prob be some kinda violation if I brought her in a HB.

I told my grandfather that I started brewing a while ago, but only today got a brew to him. Before I even poured it he asked if it was anything like Miller Highlife.

I said, no, it's not, because it's actually beer.

It was a porter, and after a sip he said, Hmm, it's not a smooth beer like Miller Highlife :rolleyes:

He drank the rest of the glass (half a bottle) and seemed to enjoy it, despite its lack of smoothness :D :mug:

I think "smooth" is synonymous with "carbonic bite." I had a Molsen Canadian yesterday (no other choices, and I regretted it after the first sip), but that's the only thing I really got out of it. Way too much carbonation.

I just had my best response ever to telling someone that I homebrew... Went like this,

Me-Yea I homebrew
Oh really? I used to do that, I think I still have some equipment, you want it?
Me-Heck yes, what do you want for it.
Nothing, just give me some beer sometime
Me-ok

Then yesterday morning I had a 6 gal carboy and two what looked to be brand new corny kegs with all the parts sitting at my front door. WOOT!

"I don't like beer. I don't like hops. I like Guinness"

I'm brewing right now and missed my 2nd hop addition by 5 minutes because of this thread. :D

"I don't like beer. I don't like hops. I like Guinness"

I'm brewing right now and missed my 2nd hop addition by 5 minutes because of this thread. :D

Haha, i have dont that a few times. Get distracted by HBT and forget to watch the boil time.

I talked about making my own beer at work today. I had someone ask me if I made it with potatoes. I said no then I lol'd.

I just get O.O or asking me about it. I had a 30 minute conversation about beer with a really hot chick the other day about beer. It was great.

Talking with my buddy about quality brews, he tells me this story about his co-worker:

Buddy: I really like dark beers
Co-Worker: Yeah, me too. I love Budweiser but I cannot stand that Bud Lite stuff.
Buddy: I see this conversation is going nowhere

Talking with my buddy about quality brews, he tells me this story about his co-worker:

Buddy: I really like dark beers
Co-Worker: Yeah, me too. I love Budweiser but I cannot stand that Bud Lite stuff.
Buddy: I see this conversation is going nowhere

Yeah, the lady that cuts my hair sometimes said she likes the darker beers. I asked which ones, and she says Heineken. I tell he I'm a bit confused because Heineken is considered a light style, and she says that if you pour a bud and a Heineken, the Heineken is darker. Well, I can't argue with that. :mug:

conversation yesterday with an old friend.Drinking an APA

Me: Don't pour the stuff at the bottom.
Him:Thats where all the flavor is.
Me:Ok but it's not going to taste right.
Him: This is really cloudy.It's good though.You should make an ale beer!

Latest posts

Back