Best response to telling someone you homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of my friends have either homebrewed before or know someone who has, so they just want to try it. And people that know me well already just ask about how it works.

I do live in an apartment complex, though, and so I don't know a lot of my neighbors. Sometimes when I'm in the middle of a boil out on my balcony someone will walk by down on the sidewalk below.

"What are you cooking?", they'll ask.

"Barley soup." is my usual reply.

;)

A few years ago, at my ex-wife's X-Mas party, a group of us got onto the subject of beer (happens a lot around me:eek:). I mentioned that I make my own, and the next thing I knew, I had at least a half dozen guys around me asking tons of questions. We talked for at least a half hour. I felt like the guru on the mount with all these people being my subjects wanting to know the meaning of life. It was kinda cool.:)
Yes this is the coolest. Tends to happen at every parts/gathering with new people. I don't know crap compared to some people on here, but I am a guru at those gatherings :D

Yes this is the coolest. Tends to happen at every parts/gathering with new people. I don't know crap compared to some people on here, but I am a guru at those gatherings :D

A guy from Schlafly was at the grocery store giving out samples and when we started talking about dry hopping a small crowd gathered

And of course by that i mean like 2-3 people :cross:

My parents' neighbor, sniffing an Irish Stout I made:
"It smells like beer" Geez, I hope so!

That same neighbor tasting a cider I made:
"This tastes like something you'd buy in a store"
(I'm not sure if I was offended or pleased with that comment, but he's really not a drinker)

I was once the center of attention of about 4 other guys when I told them I grow grapes:

"What for?"
"Wine"
"Oh, my brother did that once and the carboy blew up when he touched it!"
"Wow, that sucks"

The pastor of the church was there and he was very interested in my explanation of how to ferment the grapes, sanitizing everything, etc.

Many of my friends have either homebrewed before or know someone who has, so they just want to try it. And people that know me well already just ask about how it works.

I do live in an apartment complex, though, and so I don't know a lot of my neighbors. Sometimes when I'm in the middle of a boil out on my balcony someone will walk by down on the sidewalk below.

"What are you cooking?", they'll ask.

"Fermented Barley soup." is my usual reply.

;)

Fixed that for ya:mug:

Sitting around the fire and the wife mentions I brew and that she doesn't like beer but she tried some berry mead at a HB club meet at Lehr's place and liked it.

Some National Guard Forward Observer guy tries to impress me with his knowledge of mead:

'Yeah, stick in the secondary, and after you add the hops it'll finish right at 8%'.

All eyes flitted to me, figuring I would call BS, but I never said a word.

It's just not worth it to me to tell a BSer that he's full of it, unless he's trying to tell someone who doesn't know better.

Sitting around the fire and the wife mentions I brew and that she doesn't like beer but she tried some berry mead at a HB club meet at Lehr's place and liked it.

Some National Guard Forward Observer guy tries to impress me with his knowledge of mead:

'Yeah, stick in the secondary, and after you add the hops it'll finish right at 8%'.

All eyes flitted to me, figuring I would call BS, but I never said a word.

It's just not worth it to me to tell a BSer that he's full of it, unless he's trying to tell someone who doesn't know better.

I get this alot when my wife and I are out at gatherings and some ****** starts talking out his a$$ about beer. Not even necessarily making it, just styles, ingredients, etc.

My wife routinely looks at me and says "Be nice" before I even have a chance to say anything

I get this alot when my wife and I are out at gatherings and some ****** starts talking out his a$$ about beer. Not even necessarily making it, just styles, ingredients, etc.

LOL, yeah I had some doorknob try to tell me once that New Glarus' Fat Squirrel is a wheat beer. I just said "It's a Nut Brown, *******" and walked away.

i just started brewing but i at least researched the hell out of it just so i would know what the hell you guys were talking about, lol.

It really isnt that you may not know what you are talking about, its the guys that act like they do when they are blatantly ignorant. As some early posts mentioned, often you are out with a group and the subject of making beer comes up and people are interested and ask alot of questions. This makes for an enjoyable conversation and they know little to nothing. Its the idiots that pretend they know that are annoying.

It really isnt that you may not know what you are talking about, its the guys that act like they do when they are blatantly ignorant. As some early posts mentioned, often you are out with a group and the subject of making beer comes up and people are interested and ask alot of questions. This makes for an enjoyable conversation and they know little to nothing. Its the idiots that pretend they know that are annoying.

i agree 100%. that's why i researched. i like to make a$$h0les like that feel like idiots. The two biggest sources of info i found were this site and a book called "The Brewmaster's Bible". They are both in dummy language which i need.

When I told my dad I was going to start brewing my own beer he said, "Oh, it starts with beer, but soon you'll be making your own meth." :confused:

hahaha, I started brewing and I think I got the opposite reacion, my dad said,
"When are you going to teach me" followed with,
"Can we distill it and make whiskey" haha sounds like fun dad.

I gotta admit though I agree with most of you, ignorant people talking about brewing when they dont know anything can be really annoying. However take some stuff with a grain of salt and try to enlighten them on the subject that they thought they knew. I have been corrected before, and I like it when people can do it without making me feel like a retard :)
However there are those people that think they know exactly what they are talking about and will not listen to you regardless of what you say, just completely ignorant, yea smack them in the face.

When I say I make my own beer, I usually get a response like "Oh, yeah...my brother (roommate, uncle, neighbor, etc.) tried that too." with a patronizing expression of pity mixed with a little disgust at remembering the taste.

After trying it, though, most say something like "Wow...he must have done something wrong! This is actually good!"

I guess I'm pretty lucky. My friends and co-workers all like good beer and look forward to my holiday samplers. Even my kids (all over 21 now!) will suggest styles for me to try. I usually get the reaction more like Bernie Brewer - it's cool having people interested in your obsession/hobby!

Got this one this morning:

Was talking about kegs in my house and someone asked if I had a party...

Me: No I homebrew.
Them: Cool, do you sell it.
Me: No. I can't legally sell beer that I brew.
Them: Who said anything about legally!

"So does it have alcohol in it?"

My cousin asked me this. Then she asked how I got the alcohol into the homebrew. She was picturing me brewing up something and then dumping liquor or rubbing alcohol into it :)

The ex's response when I told her what I've been up to.

Me: "Brewing beer"

Her:"You mean like with apples?"

Me:"No, well actually I'm making something called apfelwien with apple juice. But I'm make beer like the one you are drinking."

"Isn't that illegal?"

"No, that's moonshine"

"Can't you go blind from drinking it?"

"Moonshine again"

"Does it taste good?"

"No, but I love the taste of failure"

This is when I remembered why she was my ex.

Neighbor gal: "You brew your own beer?"

Me: "Yep, here's a bottle, give it a try..."

Neighbor gal: "This is the best beer I have ever tasted!! Would you like a BJ?"

This didn't really happen, but it would be the best response to telling someone I homebrew..........

I was getting ready to ask if there were any houses for sale in your neighborhood. :D

Responses I get:
1. I don't like dark beer.
2. Is it like BMC?
3. Do you have any right now?

Best response

Extremely hot friend of my cousin's: "What is all this sh*t?"

Me: "I brew my own beer. I'm about to bottle up this Porter."

Hot friend: "That's awesome! I grow my own weed! We should hang out sometime."

Me: "Definitely!"

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a certified Bud Light guy. Mind you were inthe middle of a green bud light pitcher (I know)....

"I don't like those lager type beers. They are too dark for me. This Bud Light though, I can drink all day long."

Best response

I definitely need a friend like you have...:ban::mug:

Bud Light isn't a lager 'cuz it doesn't have hops :rolleyes:

But, Coors lite is a lager 'cuz it is frost brewed. WTF does that mean anway!?!?

EDIT - Maybe that's how they water the crap down - throw a bunch of frost into the bright tank.

But, Coores lite is a lager 'cuz it is frost brewed. WTF does that mean anway!?!?

They go out there with windshield scrapers...

It's brewed cold so it tastes cold. Does that mean they don't boil the wort?

Best response

We could all use friends like that.

Best response

Hot friend: "That's awesome! Let me suck that dick!"

Me:
emot-smug.gif
Fixed for best possible response.

When I say I make my own beer, I usually get a response like "Oh, yeah...my brother (roommate, uncle, neighbor, etc.) tried that too." with a patronizing expression of pity mixed with a little disgust at remembering the taste.

This is the biggest response I've gotten as well. Everyone knows some idiot that tried to make beer and it was terrible. Is sanitizing a newly discovered concept or something because there isn't much else that can go wrong.

"Yeah, I got one of those Mr. Beer things for Christmas. But I haven't tried it yet."

But, Coors lite is a lager 'cuz it is frost brewed. WTF does that mean anway!?!?

EDIT - Maybe that's how they water the crap down - throw a bunch of frost into the bright tank.

LOL, Reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.
"Cause it's got what plants need. It's got electrolytes!"

"Do you make it in your bathtub?"
Unfortunately, I have to answer yes to this answer since I keep my swamp cooler in my spare bathtub. :(

"Wow! This tastes like beer!"

My personal fav is the day after someone drinks 2 or more of my homebrews and the call me and say:
"Dude, your beer tastes awesome but I blew ass all night."
This is AFTER I told them to leave the last bit of beer in the bottle and to NOT swirl it around before pouring.

Back