Best pressure for keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
What is the best pressure for a slow carbonation in my new batch of beer that I just racked ?

My keg is in the fridge @ 12PSI AS WE SPEAK...

Is this ok ?

The ideal pressure is based on beer temperature and the desired carbonation level.
Reference our favorite carbonation table, find the temperature of your beer on the Y-axis, scan along that row until you get to your desired carbonation level - expressed in "volumes of CO2" where the average ale might be 2.4 volumes - then run up that column to find the appropriate pressure.

For an example, if your fridge holds steady at 38°F, and you desire a middling carbonation level of 2.4 volumes, you would set your regulator to 11 psi...

Cheers!

Not sure where you're located, and day_trippr summed it up nicely, but if you're at a higher elevation like I am in Colorado, you'll need to adjust for that as well. Add about 1psi for every 2,000 ft above sea level.

The ideal pressure is based on beer temperature and the desired carbonation level.
Reference our favorite carbonation table, find the temperature of your beer on the Y-axis, scan along that row until you get to your desired carbonation level - expressed in "volumes of CO2" where the average ale might be 2.4 volumes - then run up that column to find the appropriate pressure.

For an example, if your fridge holds steady at 38°F, and you desire a middling carbonation level of 2.4 volumes, you would set your regulator to 11 psi...

Cheers!

Thanks bro [emoji2][emoji106][emoji106]

There is a smart phone app that I use. It is called McDantim EasyBlend Calculator. It takes into account your alcohol content, altitude, temp., desired CO2 volumes, then gives you the correct regulator pressure setting you should use. At the bottom of the calculator, you will see three categories... Blend, CO2 and Pressure. Make sure the Pressure button is pushed and it shows a lock symbol next to it and you can adjust all your other variables. It takes a little playing with to figure it out, but is kind of handy.

Last edited:
Did you remember to purge the air out of the headspace after filling the keg? Significant air in the headspace will reduce the effective CO2 pressure, and result in undercarbonated beer. Residual O2 in any headspace air will also oxidize your beer, which is particularly bad for hoppy beers.

Brew on :mug:

Back