Is there an adjustable PRV with gauge for pressure-transfers? Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olie

Reaction score
I find it difficult to keep kegs properly pressurized during a pressure transfer of carbonated beer, and sometimes end up with over-carbonation that is a PITA to deal with.

It seems to me that an adjustable pressure relief valve with gauge -- preferably low-pressure, so it's easy to adust between 8 & 12psi -- would be the perfect solution.

Can anyone recommend such a device? Or perhaps other ideas?

Thanks!
~Ted

Last edited:
Are you transferring carbonated beer and trying to accomplish essentially a "counter pressure keg filler"?

Cheers!
Yes, carbonated beer (original edited).

Yes, counter-pressure keg filler, but I'm hoping to have some control (valve) and insight (gauge) into the counterpressure.

Gotcha.

I have never racked a fully carbonated beer to kegs, but there has to be a better way than using a PRV to vent your CO2 money out into the atmosphere (fwiw, a Spunding Valve would work for that).

It would be interesting to see if applying the same CO2 pressure (somewhere above the beer's current pressure) to both the sending and the receiving vessel and the relying on gravity to move the beer, with the sending vessel elevated above the receiving vessel...

Cheers!

It would be interesting to see if applying the same CO2 pressure (somewhere above the beer's current pressure) to both the sending and the receiving vessel and the relying on gravity to move the beer, with the sending vessel elevated above the receiving vessel...
This worked for me with my "Figgy Pudding" Christmas stout. Went from bulk aging on oak and spices to a keg with priming sugar and a floating dip tube. I knew there was going to be a ton of crud at the bottom of that keg once it was conditioned so I transferred to another purged keg to get it off of all of that. Got everything cold before the transfer and started with the pressure in the receiving keg a couple of PSI lower than the sending keg to make sure that beer would start to flow through the liquid to liquid jumper, then connected the gas to gas jumper and walked away. Not sure how long it took, but it was done when I came back. So more than a minute but less than an hour?

Yes, there are a lot of these devices out there.

These are the two I sell.
1703726705524.png
1703726716534.png

I find it difficult to keep kegs properly pressurized during a pressure transfer of carbonated beer, and sometimes end up with over-carbonation that is a PITA to deal with.

It seems to me that an adjustable pressure relief valve with gauge -- preferably low-pressure, so it's easy to adust between 8 & 12psi -- would be the perfect solution.

Can anyone recommend such a device? Or perhaps other ideas?

Thanks!
~Ted

Duotight BlowTie 2 Diaphragm Spunding Valve w/ Integrated Pressure Gauge (0-15 PSI) for Pressure Fermentation - KL15042​

https://www.amazon.com/Duotight-Diaphragm-Spunding-Integrated-Fermentation/dp/B089R4N1HH

I've used all 3 of the spunding valves mentioned here.

1.SPUNDit is great, well made, has very fine pressure control, etc. Definitely my favorite.

2. I also have one of the $39.99 spunding that Bobby sells. That works great as well, bought it because it hurt to pay the price of the SPUNDit.

3. I've had several blowtie. I love Kegland stuff as a general rule, but this thing is marginal at best. The gauge is slow to react, never gives me a good feeling that it's accurate. I've had one gauge quit working on me altogether. This said, for your particular usage of keg transfer, you should be fine. That's actually what I use my broken gauge unit for.

I pressurize the receiving keg to same pressure I'm gonna use to push the beer out of the first keg. I adjust the spunding slowly down until I hear gas being pushed out and then let that go for about 5 minutes. I then adjust down again until I hear another high rate of gas coming out and let that run for most of the time. I get impatient usually near the end and do one more adjustment down. Since I'm just listening for sound of gas coming out, and I use the same gas connection to fill the empty keg to start, I don't need a working or reliable gauge.

My method.
Spund your beer to correct vols of CO2 at set temperature.
Pressurised purged receiving keg at target pressure.
Liquid to liquid and then briefly pull prv in receiving keg.
Transfer starts.
I have donor fermenter on a table and receiving keg on floor.
Then connect gas to gas, pressure equalises and siphon continues until keg full.
I use the metal spunding valve or duotight for the spunding control during ferment.

Back