Best PLC/controller for keg washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannnick

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a professional keg washer and would really like to automate it. It will consist of 10 solenoid valves and 2 pumps. The heating element will be controlled separately by a PID. I would like to use Click by KOYO and a CMore screen, however I am not familiar with the logic in anyway. My question is would Brewtroller or BCS be able to control 10 valves and 2 pumps in a time sequence? Pumps are 208v 1p and the valves can be either DC or AC.

My goal is to have the controller have 3 operations: 1. Fill 2 reservoirs, 2. Run a cleaning cycle, 3. Empty 2 reservoirs. I can figure out how to empty and fill the reservoirs if another controller can run the clean cycle easier.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I see a total of twelve outputs?? Maybe an input for the PID? How do you want this thing to operate?

Looks like you could have 12 outputs for around $100 with the Click - and it's programming is more powerful (Assumption) than the BCS - I've programmed the DL05's from Koyo and they were pretty powerful for their size.

Click it

I am in the process of building a professional keg washer and would really like to automate it. It will consist of 10 solenoid valves and 2 pumps. The heating element will be controlled separately by a PID. I would like to use Click by KOYO and a CMore screen, however I am not familiar with the logic in anyway. My question is would Brewtroller or BCS be able to control 10 valves and 2 pumps in a time sequence? Pumps are 208v 1p and the valves can be either DC or AC.

My goal is to have the controller have 3 operations: 1. Fill 2 reservoirs, 2. Run a cleaning cycle, 3. Empty 2 reservoirs. I can figure out how to empty and fill the reservoirs if another controller can run the clean cycle easier.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I use for my semi automated (loading unloading is manually) Cornie keg washer a DL05 from AutomationDirect.com, controls two pumps, two 3-way, one 2-way motorized ball valves, and three linear actuators.
My operation is as follows, includes both sides of keg:
1. Rinse keg with water (no pump used city line pressure)
2. Soap wash cycle
3. Water rinse cycle
4. Sanitizing cycle
Soap and sanitizing reservoirs are filled by hand.
Each step can be done manually too, if automatic mode is not required.

marcb on HBT built a commercial keg washer, I do toys only.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Easy to do with the BCS 462. The BCS controls Outs that provide a control signal to an SSR that is then connected to your load (valves) You can set up a button (DIN) to reset the cycle when you load a new keg. It will take care of controlling the element heating you cleaning medium to a setpoint temperature. You can set an Alarm when the cycle ends. Expensive way to do it however. I use the timer on my Iphone. But I do some fun stuff and maybe I will have to do that as well. You can use the BCS to brew as well. My brew partners say I have too much time, my SWMBO says I spent too much!

I don't know about the Brewtroller or BCS, but I just did a very similar project with a CLICK PLC and CMore EA9 touch screen and they worked great. I had 8 solenoids and 2 pumps and used 3 of the CLICK 4 pt relay modules, that can handle 7A per point, for $44 each. I like the simplicity of having the relays built into the PLC, assuming 7A is enough for your pumps.

If you have never worked with ladder logic before, don't be afraid! The CLICK software and CMore Micro software is free (CMore EA9 is not tho!).

Yep - Ladder is easy peasy

It's ladder on the BCS too IIRC.

I need to order a cable - I dont know where mine went and I have two DL05's in the garage.

Remember - the Click requires a 24Vdc power supply - dont forget to order one.

If there is anyone that can answer a few questions about ladder logic for Click PLC, I would greatly appreciate some help. I've got everything wired up in the control panel and, I believe, most of the software written, but am having trouble with the inputs in the software running the program.

Thank you.

If there is anyone that can answer a few questions about ladder logic for Click PLC, I would greatly appreciate some help. I've got everything wired up in the control panel and, I believe, most of the software written, but am having trouble with the inputs in the software running the program.

Thank you.

email me @ kvash5 @ gmail . com

tannnick, have you considered using angle valves in place of solenoid valves? the flow path is much larger on these. it is almost full port (pipe ID) when open. They do handle steam. These would require a compressed air system since they are pneumatically operated. You would be able to use your same control system since the valves are actuated using solenoid valves that control the air, which controls the valve. Check out these angle valves which claim to be "The Best Valves for Keg Cleaners". I know that some of the bigger keg cleaner manufacturers do use them, so I thought you might want to consider. They also claim a cycle life of over 1 million cycles, so they should last a while.

Back