Best mill after 2+ years?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
Hey friends, I have a question that has been asked before, but am looking at it from a different angle. I have a nice two roller mill my cousin made in his machine shop, and it's been a beast for years (with regular maintenance!) but it's time to look into something new.
I am looking for feedback from all grain Brewers who have had their mills for more than two years. It's easy to love your new mill, but how are they holding up?

I brew all grain, frequently use local raw wheat, and switch base malts often. I am looking at the few three roller mills that are out there, but am not stuck on one yet.

If you have had yours for years and have an opinion, please let me know what you think! Thanks guys and gals!
:ban:

Hey friends, I have a question that has been asked before, but am looking at it from a different angle. I have a nice two roller mill my cousin made in his machine shop, and it's been a beast for years (with regular maintenance!) but it's time to look into something new.
I am looking for feedback from all grain Brewers who have had their mills for more than two years. It's easy to love your new mill, but how are they holding up?

I brew all grain, frequently use local raw wheat, and switch base malts often. I am looking at the few three roller mills that are out there, but am not stuck on one yet.

If you have had yours for years and have an opinion, please let me know what you think! Thanks guys and gals!
Ive had my cereal killer for just over 2 years now andhave put about 7 sacks plus specialty grains through it with no problems... I did motorize it with pulleys which everyone said would cause bearing wear but I actually checked it over about a month ago and everything is still tight and as it should be.

The knurling on the rollers is still sharp which is a big wear item for the similar barley crusher.

I have a Valley Mill that I purchased in the 90"s. I drive it with a variable speed cordless drill very slowly.

With only routine cleaning and maintenance it is still managing great grind output.

After two years I'm still using my corona mill and couldn't be happier. Best part it also grinds my coffee. I use a biab bag in mash tun, so it's not an issue if grain is very fine.

JSP maltmill has held up great. Now motorized. I bought the adjustable bare bones model with non hardedned rollers. Gear driven, made in the USA and a lifetime guarantee make it th elast mill you will even need to buy. My LHBS has had one for several years as well and it goes through a lot more grain than I do. Don't let the severely antiquated website steer you from this mill :D

smugshot_4970748-L.jpg

FullSizeRender-X2.jpg

JSP maltmill has held up great. Now motorized. I bought the adjustable bare bones model with non hardedned rollers. Gear driven, made in the USA and a lifetime guarantee make it th elast mill you will even need to buy. My LHBS has had one for several years as well and it goes through a lot more grain than I do. Don't let the severely antiquated website steer you from this mill :D

I have a question I've been wondering about for quite some time about this exact configuration of the JSP; since this mill is only adjustable on one side, doesn't that create an uneven gap over the 10" length of the rollers from one side to the next? If so, it seems that grain would take the path of least resistance and go to the widest gap. And if this is the case it seems like the full roller length isn't being taken advantage of.

I've really wanted to spring to buy this exact config mill, but the above reservations have kept me from doing so-- I really love the gear driven aspect, and not having to depend on just the knurling.

Thanks.

:mug:

Email Jack for his explanation, but I have not noticed this crush to be any different that other mills I have used or seen in use from Cereal Killer to a 3 roller MM.

People think my funnel hopper won't work either, but several bags of grain later it's producing very good quality beer ;)

Ive not been brewing 2 years quite yet, but I got a $100 cereal killer when I started since its about the cheapest roller mill you can buy. But its made it through a lot more than 7 sacks of grain. Some rough calcs tell me its survived close to 20 whole sacks...plus a drop from a second story balcony

I have a 2 roller crankandstein that I've been using for around 9 years now. It has worked quite well for me, though if I were to give a recommendation now, it would be for a Monster mill with the larger diameter rollers, hardened if you go through a lot of grain.

Did everyone miss this???

I have been using a 3 roller Monster Mill for years. I have it motorized and it has been pretty incredible. I highly recommend it.

I appreciate all the replies guys! I'm not bent on a three roller mill, but want to make sure I get a quality piece of hardware that will last a long time and let me mill a variety of grain sizes without a lot of readjusting. Lots of food for thought in the reviews so far!

Monster Mill 3 roller. i use a cordless drill to run it.

Ive had it for 5 years and put around 75 sacks of grain through it. couldnt be happier.

I do not adjust the Monster mill since i set it up. i go for a pretty fine crush and it works well for all grain types ive used (barley, wheat (malted, raw), spelt, rye, oats).

I dont need to touch my cereal killer either... I played with the gap to see the effects of crush size on efficiency and then set to and left it... hasnt needed any maintenance actually since I've had it.

I've also got the JSP MaltMill. I bought it used from my LHBS about 5 years ago. So, a LOT of grain has passed through it over the years. The milling part of it is still as good today as it was when I got it. I guess it's a "lifetime" mill. However, the chute part is starting to fall apart. It's made of some odd material that is starting to fray at the corners. I'll probably make a better chute for it from wood this year.

Latest posts

Back