Best Method To Remove Steam In My Situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_SA

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am in the process of setting up a microbrewery with a 200L pot herms system and need some expert advice on how best to deal with steam from the kettle during the boil.

Right now I'm looking at the option of a 1mx1m condensate hood fitted to the concrete ceiling above the pot with an extraction vent out the right side of the hood. It's the only option I'm aware of at present but perhaps there is something I'm missing or unaware of that could better suit my situation. A condensate hood is pretty pricey as well so if there are more cost effective ways of dealing with this issue please do suggest.

Ultimately, would a steam condenser be a wiser move in my situation?

Kettle has 2 x 5500w elements

20211123_182852.jpg

Cheers 🍻

Nothing is gonna be cheap, but I'd probably do what I do for my laser, get a blower and put it outside and pull air out, not try and push it out. First, leaks, second if blower dies, any can replace, if integral to the hood, you have to go back with same thing. I'd price through local sheetmetal company a hood. But that is a big hood, I'd try and reduce the depth to just wider than your kettle, and out right over it.... otherwise it will just condense and drip

I’d be tempted to go with a steam condenser.
It depends on a variety of things. How expensive is water? What and where will plumbing be?
And now, people who know what they are talking about can jump in. 🤪

I’d be tempted to go with a steam condenser.
It depends on a variety of things. How expensive is water? What and where will plumbing be?
And now, people who know what they are talking about can jump in. 🤪

Plumbing and water are non issues. I may even recirculate the water but even if I don't I'll be okay.

How much difference could I expect from mounting the condenser on the side of the pot rather than from the top?

since you already have a vent, I'd stick with that. I have a steam slayer, but that's only because I really didn't have any good way to get a vent in. You can attach a direct vent to your kettle lid, and then an inline, or terminal fan on your exhaust line. That should be a lot simpler and cheaper.

After some more reading I must say that the thought of a steam condenser has grown on me. I'm looking at the possibility of mounting the condenser to the right side of the pot as I want to be able to take the lid on and off freely for hop additions, checking etc.

Just some concerns though...
  1. The lid for the pot is not what you would call a snug fit. There are definitely some air gaps. How does this influence the vacuum provided by the condenser?
  2. What size triclamp fittings would suit my application best? How would I determine the best size? The pot is 200L , 70cm in diameter. I'm looking at 3" tri clamp fittings... would that work?

uh, i'm by no means an expert....but i'd redo your sink drain pipe...and move the kettle to the wall where the vent is....

uh, i'm by no means an expert....but i'd redo your sink drain pipe...and move the kettle to the wall where the vent is....

A heck of a lot has changed since that photo actually. Including the drain which got reworked completely.

After some more reading I must say that the thought of a steam condenser has grown on me. I'm looking at the possibility of mounting the condenser to the right side of the pot as I want to be able to take the lid on and off freely for hop additions, checking etc.

Just some concerns though...
  1. The lid for the pot is not what you would call a snug fit. There are definitely some air gaps. How does this influence the vacuum provided by the condenser?
  2. What size triclamp fittings would suit my application best? How would I determine the best size? The pot is 200L , 70cm in diameter. I'm looking at 3" tri clamp fittings... would that work?
I think that the poor lid fit will not be a problem because the condenser creates a bit of a vacuum. I have one for five gallon batches and even though my lid isn't tight, I don't get any steam.

I also don't think that the opening matters as much as the water pressure. It seems to me that 3" openings will be plenty big enough to handle the steam created by a 100 liter boil. Keep in mind that boiling with a lid on and a condenser is going to reduce your heat to boil ratio, and you will create less steam.

I'm not an expert, but I have much experience using a condenser on my kit and reading about them. I sincerely believe that they are the way to go.

Back