Brew room design questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure. I was out getting lunch I think when it happened. At least the contractors had the decency to push it outward instead of inward. It still took a jackhammer and a skidloader to remove the pieces of it.

Floor drain tied into the house drain
20210825_121223.jpg

20210825_121212.jpg

Floor drain in the brew room
20210825_121407.jpg

Yeah. In my build I'm planning on a two-stage cold room (both small...basically a long 8' wide walk-in closet with two rooms.)

Front part will be ~55F, the back part I'll keep at ~38F. That's the plan at least. I might need to up my glycol system as I'm going to use glycol chillers I think...since I'll have the glycol system anyway. I want to do some stuff other than beer, specifically artisan cheeses. And the misses wants a 'cellar' for storing stuff and that's really hard when you are 7 foot above the high-tide mark!

Yeah. In my build I'm planning on a two-stage cold room (both small...basically a long 8' wide walk-in closet with two rooms.)

Front part will be ~55F, the back part I'll keep at ~38F. That's the plan at least. I might need to up my glycol system as I'm going to use glycol chillers I think...since I'll have the glycol system anyway. I want to do some stuff other than beer, specifically artisan cheeses. And the misses wants a 'cellar' for storing stuff and that's really hard when you are 7 foot above the high-tide mark!
Sweet!

@hezagenius Are you going to put a roll-up garage door in that large opening? That'll be sweet if you do!!!

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. We were planning on french doors so we could easily get through anything we wanted (appliances, mowers, snowblower, etc.) Since it will be exposed to the outside, I want to make sure whatever door goes there has a nice seal.

Check out this type of door (if you are interested.) Lots of light, seals very well and can be thrown open to get that 'outside-while-inside' feeling on those awesome days.
1629994538865.png

The problem would how to attach that to the ceiling, plus the room will be about 7'8" so that type of door would really cut into that clearance. I like the idea though.

The problem would how to attach that to the ceiling, plus the room will be about 7'8" so that type of door would really cut into that clearance. I like the idea though.

Yeah, at 7' 8" that would be a problem for sure unless you and all your friends are particularly short! The build is looking great. You are going to love it.

I have been in Concrete and Waterproofing for almost 30 years, so a couple comments on the floors...
If at all possible PUT A VAPOR BARRIER under the floor before pouring concrete. Even in dry desert environments vapor drive will cause your coating (even epoxy in many situations) to bubble and delaminate from the floor. Ideally you would want a vapor barrier such as Grace Florprufe which will prevent vapor from coming thru, but it is very expensive. A good Vapor Retarder such as Stegowrap would likely be good enough (especially if seams are taped), easy to install and should run you about 30 cents or less a square foot. (As a side note, using 6-mil visqueen is common in residential construction but does very little good for moisture mitigation and is generally a waste of money. )
Secondly, like the other posts I recommend epoxy coating. However, you may need to wait 4-6 months or longer after placing the concrete for it to cure/dry out enough to install it. A good installer will have moisture meters and should be able to tell you when the moisture (and pH) levels in the concrete are ok for additional coatings.
Finally, many of today's coatings use chips that are good for wet/non slip situations without needing a broadcast of sand. Talk to a local subcontractor about what they have to offer.
EDIT:
Full Disclosure, I worked for Grace/GCP for ten years before retiring in May. I have no connection with the company now.

Last edited:
Yes. Logistically it seems weird but who knows. Maybe the floor drain made them do it that way?

And they were building a subtle ridge in the floor to drain away from the existing house so maybe that's why.

Awesome thread. I see you're in Iowa, the metro? That's where I'm at.

I do not have a brew room, but have a couple unistrut trolleys around for things and they are great. I mounted mine to wood, but don't see why you couldn't use them here.

It's interior space - I think it must matter because I've seen some hella large breweries with solid concrete from wall to wall.
And I had a 24 x 16 foot pour done for a commercial oyster shucking & packaging room in a former life, had a center-sloped drain, and it was done in one big sheet...

Cheers!

Figure out how many electrical outlets you’ll need, then install twice that amount!

I was going to suggest this. When the walls are open, it is cheap and easy to put multiple sockets on a given circuit.

Put sockets in the ceiling for lighting options.

OK, guys, first off it's concrete, not cement. Portland cement is just one component of concrete, and they are not the same. (Sorry, this is my big rant, as it drives me crazy. Imagine people constantly calling an IPA a Pilsner ... )
Secondly, you generally don't need expansion joints in interior concrete, as it doesn't move as much as exterior concrete. They will put in control joints or saw cut the slab which control cracking, but your slab doesn't really look that big to have major cracking issues. While cracking will occur, it wont be a major issue.
Overall the job looks pretty good and I believe you will be happy with it.

The concrete guy said he would likely put a cut width-wise in there to control cracking. He was going to do it today but the surface is still wet from the rain.

I think it was a gentle rain so it should be fine. I just didn't want it to be a torrential downpour and have the mechanical action of the raindrops mess up the surface.

In a former life, I did a lot of concrete testing and we kept our samples in a temp controlled room with pretty much 100% humidity to help with the curing so I'm not too concerned with the water itself.

Actually the guy just showed up to put the cut in!

I was going to suggest this. When the walls are open, it is cheap and easy to put multiple sockets on a given circuit.

Put sockets in the ceiling for lighting options.

The walls will not be framed (except where the exterior door is going to be) so I will have lots of flexibility for sockets. And I plan to have a lot of them. The electrician is coming on Tuesday to run the wire for the 100A subpanel.

Back