Best mega beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Natty Bo could probably be considered mega, at least in spirit.

I can't honestly say I like the taste better than some of those others, but if I'm going cheap, may as well go kinda-sorta "local".

Out of the truly mega, I'd go with Miller High Life.

My wife likes Coors, Corona and Modelo.
My boss prefers Grolsch.
My uncle prefers PBR.
If one was clearly better than the others, there would be only one, right?

If one was clearly better than the others, there would be only one, right?

Just as, if one [insert IPA, pastry stout, NEIPA, fruit sour, saison, etc. etc.] was clearly better than the others, there would be only one, right?

Anyhoo I like PBR, and also Miller High Life. They taste like beer. But then I'm a lager guy anyway.

I like Hamm’s. So did a group of blind taste testers a couple of years ago

if you remember my one 'free' keg,, her dad liked hamm's......lol

High Life for me, but if guiness ever made a budget 'lite' beer, i'd go for that, it's what i brew for myself......

and i've tried corn in beer, just tasted like i had vegetables in my beer......

I gotta say MHL. That was the go-to beer back in the day when my best girlfriend and I used to hit up the bar next door to our bowling alley/place of work on Monday nights. Husband thinks I'm cracked and only likes Coors Light of the big boys.

I take it you are talking domestic? Because if not, Weihenstephan Helles, hands down.

And I am assuming you REALLY mean domestic American Light Lager?

I take it you are talking domestic? Because if not, Weihenstephan Helles, hands down.

And I am assuming you REALLY mean domestic American Light Lager?
Like I said in post #8, I'm working on something that may end up with me cloning a (readily available) beer brewed with corn

Guinness probably. Tennents is one of the better national brands, along with the likes of Stiegl. Better than s.h.i.t.e like Carling/Bud/Carlsberg etc

edit: didn't see the post about corn. Maybe Moretti then, it's the best big name beer I've had with corn in it, certainly superior to Peroni. St Austell Korev is very good but it's a regional brewery

Last edited:
Olympia baby! It's the water.
In the pre-light beer era, in this part of the world, the most popular beers were those brewed in the PNW. Olympia (“Oly”), Rainer (“Vitamin R”), and Lucky Lager (“Red Cross”) were the 3 best sellers. A few old guys drank Bud, Hamm’s, or Schlitz, but the beers from Washington were what all the cool kids drank.

How times have changed. I lived on the Olympic Peninsula in the early '70s and Olympia was my go-to, but could manage Rainier or Lucky if offered (truly more similar than different). I would pass by two of the breweries on the way to Seattle. Flash forward a ton of years, now both Olympia and Rainier are brewed in a MillerCoors facility in Irwindale, CA, while Lucky is brewed in Edmonton, Alberta.

I'm a bit surprised they all succumbed as independent breweries, I'd have thought at least one of them (probably Olympia) would have survived...

Cheers!

Not sure of availability outside of the NW but Henry Weinhard’s private reserve lager is damn tasty.
Last I checked, a twelver of cans was cheaper than any BMC- even PBR.
A great camping beer.

How times have changed. I lived on the Olympic Peninsula in the early '70s and Olympia was my go-to, but could manage Rainier or Lucky if offered (truly more similar than different). I would pass by two of the breweries on the way to Seattle. Flash forward a ton of years, now both Olympia and Rainier are brewed in a MillerCoors facility in Irwindale, CA, while Lucky is brewed in Edmonton, Alberta.

I'm a bit surprised they all succumbed as independent breweries, I'd have thought at least one of them (probably Olympia) would have survived...

Cheers!
Olympia was always my go to in college. I'd occasionally get pbr or high Life, but Olympia was always my preferred mega beer. I was devastated when something changed in the distribution chain and they stopped selling it in my area. I live in the se us and you just can't get it out here. Sad day. Long live the water!

Last edited:
Early on in my career when hanging with buddies or having a party... I don't think it was much about the flavor or "mega" beer brands but more so bang for your buck...so the likes of the "ice" beers were king...(please refrain from all dry heaves until the end of the post)...
Bud Ice
Milwaukee's Best Ice
Molson Ice
And then of course there was Old English 40's and Mad Dog's...the later 2 not really being "mega" but at this point who cares..eventually highly developing our pallets to a more sophisticated beer...Rolling Rock...ahh the good old days[emoji2961]

As touched on above, you can tell we've got different interpretations of mega: the more literal and the more figurative.

Guinness is a prime example. There's no doubt it's a mega beer, yet in coming up with an answer to this question it wouldn't occur to me to consider Guinness as an option.

In the more literal interpretation (where for example Guinness would certainly be an option), I'd go with Pilsner Urquell as not only my favorite mega beer, but possibly my favorite beer period, especially on tap.

One more for Henry Weinhard Private Reserve. Tastes good and an 18 pack of cans is less than $10 at the right store.

It's also good for blending with an experiment that didn't turn out so it's more palatable.
I had a couple of apples pressing parties last fall and bought plenty Weinhard’s. Everybody seemed to like it. No complaints about price either.

I'm also going to add another one; Kokanee when I can find it. Tasty refreshing light lager, usually on the cheaper end of the beer cooler at the store, not far from the Natty Ice (BTW that one makes me bleeaaaargghh, my dad drank that for years and it was nasty. Oxidized straight outta the can. Gives me the shudders even remembering it.) Also I like a nice cold Icehouse once in a great while, as long as it's bottled; for some reason the cans taste wrong.

I'm also going to add another one; Kokanee when I can find it. Tasty refreshing light lager, usually on the cheaper end of the beer cooler at the store, not far from the Natty Ice (BTW that one makes me bleeaaaargghh, my dad drank that for years and it was nasty. Oxidized straight outta the can. Gives me the shudders even remembering it.) Also I like a nice cold Icehouse once in a great while, as long as it's bottled; for some reason the cans taste wrong.
Kokanee is pretty common around here and is a pretty decent light lager. I believe they are part of InBev now.

MHL. My wife likes bud light so I’ll drink those if they are on hand. But the more I drink craft beer, the less I can put up with the lack of flavor. Blessing and a curse I guess.

bitburger if I have to pick a proper "big" beer, it was the first beer I used to drink regularily.
Grolsch would have been my local "big beer" but it gives me a nasty headache.

Back