Best Kit You Ever Purchased

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't brew like I want but Williams brewing red ale and there summer kits were a hit at my neighbors house. Personally I love the simplicity of the kits.

I'm doing more extract because of this. I have less time to brew and I rather brew a kit then not be able to brew at all.

It's been a loooong time since I did extracts but I still grab an ag kit when brewing a new style, or quickly comparing a style. That said: coopers 20minute Mexican cervesa from midwest with white labs Mexican lager yeast is phenomenal.
I'd also recommend more beer's shallow grave porter.

I pretty much exclusively shop more beer now. They fix any problem within a few hours of emailing them, and I always get to my door within 2 days. Plus free shipping over $50...

Of course. I will brew one very soon.

The kit instructions threw me off at first as there is a "wort a" and "wort b". Should be fun.

I just picked up his How to Brew book and read about splitting the extract additions into two portions: one at the beginning of the boil and the rest at the end. I tried this for the first time with a dead ringer that's about a week in so not sure what the impact will be.

I just picked up his How to Brew book and read about splitting the extract additions into two portions: one at the beginning of the boil and the rest at the end. I tried this for the first time with a dead ringer that's about a week in so not sure what the impact will be.

You don't boil the second portion of the extract at all. You merely stir it in and let sit a bit to pasteurize then you go through your normal cool down period.

I have the hefe in fermenter now. Tasted the hydro reading and it was good for what that is worth.

Late extract addition is a good way to go for the lighter colored beers that you want to read through when in the glass. I still add all the extract at the beginning of the boil for almost all darker beers to get more complex flavors.

Late extract addition is a good way to go for the lighter colored beers that you want to read through when in the glass. I still add all the extract at the beginning of the boil for almost all darker beers to get more complex flavors.

But his method is not your typical 'late addition'. It's completely post boil. You are not boiling it at all.

That is a great kit. I'll add two more from Great Fermentations that are excellent - Brain Eater Pale Ale (Zombie Dust clone), and Heady Nugs...not sure if its intended to clone anything but it is delicious. They have good prices too.

I have to agree with you on those two kits. I've brewed both more than once.

If you are a fan of porters I'd recommend the Dark Side Robust Porter kit from Great Fermentations. Reminds me of deschutes Black Butte Porter. Very roasty.

My favorite kit is Northern Brewers Chocolate Stout. It has a nice chocolate flavor and a nice creamy mouthfeel. It is also my wifes fave.

NRS

I've purchased a ton of IPA kits, and the best kit I've ever purchased was Pliny the Elder. It's honestly not even close.

Cheers!

I'm probably going to get flamed for this because Northern Brewer sold out, but the Goose Island porter brewery edition kit is amazing. Creamy, chocolate, rich, just a really good porter.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this because Northern Brewer sold out, but the Goose Island porter brewery edition kit is amazing. Creamy, chocolate, rich, just a really good porter.

I don't think anyone will burn you. If you like a kit you like a kit. Heck, one of the guys on here gave props to a Cooper's can. So if he can do that I say you are OK :)

Nawwwww...no burning...just don't ever do it again...hahaha...j/k. One of my favorite kits was the Brewer's Best Witbier. It was one of those trips to the LHBS, where I threw caution to the wind and basically asked the guy to throw something in my arms. I went along with it and it ended up tasting delicious. No complaints here.

Cheers!

I primarily get my kits from Midwest Supply. I've been brewing 5 gallon batches for a little under a year now and the best kit that I ever brewed (extract) was the Jawbreaker Skull Pale Wheat Ale. Warrior and Amarillo hops gave the perfect balance of hops for the hopheads and not over powering for the people who don't love the hops.

I really enjoy this style of Wheat Pale Ales and I am a hop head myself. This kit makes for a nice Summer beer.

I primarily get my kits from Midwest Supply. I've been brewing 5 gallon batches for a little under a year now and the best kit that I ever brewed (extract) was the Jawbreaker Skull Pale Wheat Ale. Warrior and Amarillo hops gave the perfect balance of hops for the hopheads and not over powering for the people who don't love the hops.

I really enjoy this style of Wheat Pale Ales and I am a hop head myself. This kit makes for a nice Summer beer.

I have bought a few from them. My big issue is all of their kits are either all LME or mostly LME. I prefer DME. If that isn't possible then at least a 50-50 blend of each.

I may be crazy but my tastebuds seem to always know when someone makes a batch and it only contains LME.

Before I moved to all grain - Brewer's Best Bourbon Barrel Stout Best beer ever (from a kit). Used about 1/4 pint of Makers in it.

Tasted Great after two weeks in the bottle, and aged very well. everyone who tried it was impressed. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to clone it AG.

Before I moved to all grain - Brewer's Best Bourbon Barrel Stout Best beer ever (from a kit). Used about 1/4 pint of Makers in it.

Tasted Great after two weeks in the bottle, and aged very well. everyone who tried it was impressed. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to clone it AG.

You had me at "makers" lol

Back