Best Digital Remote Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,

I need a recommendation. What temperature probe is everyone using? I've had a Maverick ET-73 for about a year and it crapped out today. It's range was far to limited for my needs (100 ft.) and I hate having to open the battery case to turn it on.

What is everyone else using? Do you like it and would you recommend it?

I'm looking at the Maverick Et-732 which supposedly has three times the range (300 ft.).

Any other suggestions?

I like the ET-732. Range has been good, it works at the front of my house through several walls, electrical, plumbing, etc without issue. The smoker is in the back. Total distance had only been tested to maybe 60 ft, but it was heavily obstructed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks. I have to go about 88 feet through multiple walls etc. The et-73 makes it less than half way

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I second the Maverick ET-732 as a great thermometer with great range. We live in an older brick home and have no problems with range anywhere in the house ~200 feet from the smoker.

I have a Maverick Redi Check and it goes through my walls and upstairs without a problem. But the total distance is probably only 60 feet or so. Sorry but thats all the real world experience I have with wireless thermometers.

I have both the maveric 732 and the IGrill which works off of Bluetooth. Maverick blows it away as far as range.

Gonna go with the maverick as well. Goes from the back deck threw several walls into the basement without any problems.

Does it work with liquid. The I grill says ya cant

Beer! Better than stamp collecting

I've got the Maverick 732 as well...Don't think it works worth a crap anymore as every time I used it in the past it rains or snows and no matter what I do it gets some level of wet. So be careful when using in wet weather.

Worked nicely when it worked...Best method I've used though is set it and try and forget it. I use a propane fired GOSM Big Block. After every door open I monitor temps for 5 minutes to get it stable at temp (using verified door thermometer) and then monitor every half hour or so for temp. Then when 3/4 through time start checking meat temp every half hour for done-ness.

I have and love the maverick. Great range even through my 70s constructed brick walled house. Only problem is the rubber grommet thing that is at the base of the probes seems to be melting out of both of them. This last smoke it seems that it was reading off. Going to have to test it out, but I also think I should buy new probes and a backup set anyway.

I have decided that I really do not like the lump charcoal much either. It does not seem to burn as consistently, nor as hot as the kingsford (though there is far less ash production). And I really am considering buying one of the stoker type of thermometers to suppliment my maverick.

As for the Maverick in the wet. I have found that a zip top bag makes a great waterproofing for the sending unit. So long as you do not get the Forrest Gump style rain that falls up it keeps it plenty dry.

Back