Best connections for plate chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Noto

Reaction score
I’m new to the all grain game and just got a plate chiller that I’m itching to use, but I don’t want to do a typical hose connection into my water in line. Is there a way I can put the hose water in a 60 qt. Cooler and transfer it with my pump? Or is there another alternative possibly? I have cam lock connections on my 3 vessel pump fed system with 2 riptide pumps and a whirlpool on my BK.

I have used a bucket of ice water and a cheap Harbor freight sump pump to do essentially that. The ice would prechill the water coming out of the hose so I could get those last few degrees even when my tap water was too warm.

That’s pretty much what I’m thinking just with 2 10lb blocks of ice in my yeti.

I fill my MLT with ice water and pump it from there. I capture the waste water in my HLT and use that for cleaning.
That’s probably the approach I’m going to take. Do you use 2 pumps? 1 for wort and 1 for cold water? Or do you have another method?

No problem. I find 40 pounds of ice in 30 or so gallons of water works to bring a batch from 190ish post whirlpool to 54 or thereabouts. That's for a half barrel batch with very warm ground water. Might give you a starting point.

I circulate the wort through a CFC for chilling. I use tap water straight from the hose until it gets to around 100°F, and then I switch to ice water. I put the ice water in my cooler mash tun and use the pump to circulate it.
I have ball-lock QD connections for all the hoses.

I also use the CFC as a heat exchanger to run a propane+electric HERMS. the whole system is 2-vessel (no-sparge).

Here's the mash recirc. Chilling has the hoses switched around.
brewing-system-2-1024x983.jpg

Hope this provides some inspiration.
Cheers

https://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=266
I don’t use cam lock fittings but I’m guessing you could get something like this to attach to the plate chiller. As other people have said you could use you HLT full of ice water. It works but on hot days you get a lot of drip condensation. If you use your cooler I’m guessing as long as Your pump is primed you could just suck the water out of the cooler.

I use a copper immersion chiller in a cooler of ice water to prechill my hose/tap water before going to my plate chiller. This works great for me. I mostly do 5.5 gallon batches. I live in Texas and summer ground water temps are very high.

No problem. I find 40 pounds of ice in 30 or so gallons of water works to bring a batch from 190ish post whirlpool to 54 or thereabouts. That's for a half barrel batch with very warm ground water. Might give you a starting point.
That’s what I’m going to shoot for then. Appreciate your help!

https://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=266
I don’t use cam lock fittings but I’m guessing you could get something like this to attach to the plate chiller. As other people have said you could use you HLT full of ice water. It works but on hot days you get a lot of drip condensation. If you use your cooler I’m guessing as long as Your pump is primed you could just suck the water out of the cooler.

I use a copper immersion chiller in a cooler of ice water to prechill my hose/tap water before going to my plate chiller. This works great for me. I mostly do 5.5 gallon batches. I live in Texas and summer ground water temps are very high.
I ordered a copper counterflow but it’s back ordered till the end of July. I figured that I could buy a moderately priced plate chiller for now, and then when the CFC comes in run both inline to bring the temp down even faster.... if that’s even a possibility.

Back