Best Commercial Beer You've Ever Had

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time I had Minot's Black Star in cans it was amazing...but it seems as if they are cutting costs by reducing the hops now.

Recently I had Big Sky's All Souls' Ale, really smooth and drinkable for a 10.5% abv beer.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Brewing Co. is my favorite.
Hobgoblin Ale from Wychwood Brewing in the UK is a close second.

Gotta vote for anything by Ommegang. Except their cherry lambic (I think its three philosophers).

Jeez, which to choose? Right now, Founders Breakfast Stout, Flying Dog Raging *****, and Flying Dog Gonzo are high on my list.

Recent ones include:

St Rogue Red
Green Flash Hop Head Red
Racer 5 IPA
Ithaca Flower Power IPA
Sierra Nevada Celebration 2010

It's a great time to be a lover of micros. And homebrew's not bad either.

Some local beer when I was in Belize. When I order a beer I was ask light or dark, so I took the dark one and it was very good

Ommegang "Three Philosophers"
Rochefort "8"
Unibroue "La Fin du Monde"

and last weekend I had a bomber of Cascade's Apricot Ale (2009 vintage) that blew my mind it was so good - really kicking in my desire to want to brew a sour beer.

Bell's Hopslam / Leffe Blonde / Fuller's 1845

It's so hard to narrow it down....lots of good ones out there...should have a "best one per category/style"

A couple years ago, my best friend and I had a growing obsession with Dale's Pale Ale and Oskar Blues in general. So in May of 2009, we decided to take a road trip to Colorado to camp, hike, and visit the brewery. We drove straight to Lyons (from Albany, NY), each alternating between 5 hours of sleep and 5 hours of driving. Any stops we made were never longer than half an hour.

After 29 hours and nearly 2,000 miles, we arrived at their brewpub/grill. Victoriously, we smiled at each other, said hello to the pretty bartender, and sat down. She looked at us, put down the glass she was cleaning, and said, "Sorry guys, but we're actually not serving for another hour." Our smiles faded. Our shoulders drooped. I could have cried. We quickly told her our story, how we had endured rain, terrible truck-stop-diner food, and the seven hours of suicide-inducing nothingness that is Nebraska, ALL JUST SO WE COULD HAVE SOME FRESH DALE'S!!!:(:(:(

"Wow. Let me get you guys some glasses!"

We drank well that night. :mug: The bartenders let us in on the "locals only" happy hour special of $3 pints of any of their beers. We got a cheap hotel room right across the street, literally a one minute walk. I didn't think a beer experience could get any better. But I was wrong.

The next day, we visited Oskar Blues' actual brewery, and stocked up on Ten Fidy and Gordon.

After some camping and exploring the area around Lyons, we decided to go for a hike, up some foothill (I don't remember the name, but it wasn't too far from our campsite in Estes Park). The scenery was gorgeous, the sightlines seemingly infinite. Halfway up, we were advised by Park Rangers that we really shouldn't go much further without proper ice-climbing equipment. Since we'd gone up a couple thousand feet in a few hours, we were satisfied - and thirsty.

Upon reaching the bottom, we found that we were also hungry, sweaty, tired, and enjoying a bit of a rush from all the oxygen we suddenly received at the lower elevation. Our boots came off, and we set up a little propane grill right in the parking lot. To accompany our feast of rice and beans, we had packed four Gordons into a little cooler.

It was the best beer I've ever had. The hike, the sunshine, the exhaustion - everything came together in perfect harmony. It was refreshing, crisp, and cold - just like our journey up the mountain. I was barefoot, sweaty, exhausted, and grinning from ear to ear. :D

Shortly after getting back from the trip, I decided to start homebrewing, as this was the closest thing to a religious experience that I'd ever felt. I got chills when I first read Papazian's story about "Mead Mountain." I knew exactly what he had felt! It's stories like these that make me love beer and take pride in my brewing.

There are certainly more refined, more expensive, and subjectively "better" beers out there, but any Oskar Blues product - especially Gordon - will always have a place in my heart (and fridge, and stomach...).

... But getting back on topic, I also love Delirium Tremens, pretty much any Dogfish Head (just tried the Aprihop - wow!), Guinness is a classic, Smuttynose Robust Porter, Victory Old Horizontal, Celebrator Dopplebock, Lagunitas IPA and Cappuccino Stout... I'm sure there are plenty I'm forgetting!

Sorry for the long post - I wanted to make my first one good :D

A couple years ago, my best friend and I had a growing obsession with Dale's Pale Ale and Oskar Blues in general. So in May of 2009, we decided to take a road trip to Colorado to camp, hike, and visit the brewery. We drove straight to Lyons (from Albany, NY), each alternating between 5 hours of sleep and 5 hours of driving. Any stops we made were never longer than half an hour.

After 29 hours and nearly 2,000 miles, we arrived at their brewpub/grill. Victoriously, we smiled at each other, said hello to the pretty bartender, and sat down. She looked at us, put down the glass she was cleaning, and said, "Sorry guys, but we're actually not serving for another hour." Our smiles faded. Our shoulders drooped. I could have cried. We quickly told her our story, how we had endured rain, terrible truck-stop-diner food, and the seven hours of suicide-inducing nothingness that is Nebraska, ALL JUST SO WE COULD HAVE SOME FRESH DALE'S!!!:(:(:(

"Wow. Let me get you guys some glasses!"

We drank well that night. :mug: The bartenders let us in on the "locals only" happy hour special of $3 pints of any of their beers. We got a cheap hotel room right across the street, literally a one minute walk. I didn't think a beer experience could get any better. But I was wrong.

The next day, we visited Oskar Blues' actual brewery, and stocked up on Ten Fidy and Gordon.

After some camping and exploring the area around Lyons, we decided to go for a hike, up some foothill (I don't remember the name, but it wasn't too far from our campsite in Estes Park). The scenery was gorgeous, the sightlines seemingly infinite. Halfway up, we were advised by Park Rangers that we really shouldn't go much further without proper ice-climbing equipment. Since we'd gone up a couple thousand feet in a few hours, we were satisfied - and thirsty.

Upon reaching the bottom, we found that we were also hungry, sweaty, tired, and enjoying a bit of a rush from all the oxygen we suddenly received at the lower elevation. Our boots came off, and we set up a little propane grill right in the parking lot. To accompany our feast of rice and beans, we had packed four Gordons into a little cooler.

It was the best beer I've ever had. The hike, the sunshine, the exhaustion - everything came together in perfect harmony. It was refreshing, crisp, and cold - just like our journey up the mountain. I was barefoot, sweaty, exhausted, and grinning from ear to ear. :D

Shortly after getting back from the trip, I decided to start homebrewing, as this was the closest thing to a religious experience that I'd ever felt. I got chills when I first read Papazian's story about "Mead Mountain." I knew exactly what he had felt! It's stories like these that make me love beer and take pride in my brewing.

There are certainly more refined, more expensive, and subjectively "better" beers out there, but any Oskar Blues product - especially Gordon - will always have a place in my heart (and fridge, and stomach...).

... But getting back on topic, I also love Delirium Tremens, pretty much any Dogfish Head (just tried the Aprihop - wow!), Guinness is a classic, Smuttynose Robust Porter, Victory Old Horizontal, Celebrator Dopplebock, Lagunitas IPA and Cappuccino Stout... I'm sure there are plenty I'm forgetting!

Sorry for the long post - I wanted to make my first one good :D

Well, sir, there is no questioning your motivation to start homebrewing after hearing that story. Welcome to HBT! Hope you enjoy the hobby and find this site helpful!

TB

Well that's a heck of a question. If I had to go with an absolute favorite it'd be Troeg's Nugget Nectar, but it changes by the minute. Variety is the key to life after all, although SWMBO always takes that saying the wrong way.

Founders Breakfast Stout.

I even had a KBS on draft last weekend. The bourbon is good, but I prefer the BS.
Again, this is different from my favorite beer.

Samuel Smiths Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout
Stone Russian Imperial Stout and Arrogant Bastard
Dogfish Head 90min IPA
Chimay Blue Reserve

There's no way I could pick one.

Right now it is a tie between Red Rock brewery's "Honey Wheat", or my favorite weiss bier Ayinger.

3 of my favorites that come to mind.

Georgetown Brewing - Lucile. An Amazing, and sorta indescribably unique IPA.

Big Sky Brewing - Moose Drool. Always a favorite standby sessioner for me.

Lagunitas - Wilco Tango Foxtrot. Makes me happy its Spring time again.

Finally got my hands on some Ten Fidy last weekend. Paired it with some blood sausage and college basketball. It was heaven. :mug:

BargainMugs said:
Finally got my hands on some Ten Fidy last weekend. Paired it with some blood sausage and college basketball. It was heaven. :mug:

The first time I ordered Ten Fidy, it was because I wanted to try something new at a place I like, and I had no idea what the beer was. Man, was I happy I made that order! Love that beer.

my favorite style is belgian (all of them). of the ones i have tried so far, my favorite is Piraat Ale. others at the top of the list are westmalle tripel, moinette blonde, st bernardus tripel and abt 12, ommegang abbey ale, victory v12, avery the beast, and houblon chouffe tripel ipa.

Back