Best capper for 20 gallons of bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ismellweird

Reaction score
Hi, new to brewing here. Got a lot of equipment handed down to me, but realizing not a capper, and have a 20 gallon stout fermenting right now. I want to enter a competition so need to bottle but 20 gallons looks like over 210 bottles! I was shocked and acrtually had to check the math on a second calculator to be sure and yes it is that much. I think I'll be able to get that much as we have lots of bottles here and more coming but the capping makes me nervous. It will be a few of us I think but what's the best method for capping this volume reliably? I know There are cheap plastic ones and then there's bench cappers, maybe others. Thanks for helping a new brewer!

I bottle everything, (but I only do 3-3.5 gallon batches), and I have both a plastic wing capper and a more sturdy bench capper.

Both work fine, but if I was to be putting a capper through the paces, like you are, then sturdy is better... I'd go for a decent quality (ie. more metal than plastic) bench capper.

If I was in your boat, I'd also look at using as many larger bottles as possible (eg. 650ml bombers). Bottle some in small bottles as well, if that's what the competition requires. But the more larger bottles you use, the less bottles you have to cap. :)

I've only ever bottled solo, but I would think that with multiple people, you would still be limited to 2 people being useful... one to fill, one to cap. Maybe a 3rd to sanitize the bottles and hand them to the filler, and then take the capped bottles from the capper and move them aside. Get an assembly line going.

edit: oh, and maybe consider a cheaper, lower quality, capper as a backup, in case your main one fails part way through the batch.

I bottle everything, (but I only do 3-3.5 gallon batches), and I have both a plastic wing capper and a more sturdy bench capper.

Both work fine, but if I was to be putting a capper through the paces, like you are, then sturdy is better... I'd go for a decent quality (ie. more metal than plastic) bench capper.

If I was in your boat, I'd also look at using as many larger bottles as possible (eg. 650ml bombers, or larger). Bottle some in small bottles as well, if that's what the competition requires. But the more larger bottles you use, the less bottles you have to cap. :)

I've only ever bottled solo, but I would think that with multiple people, you would still be limited to 2 people being useful... one to fill, one to cap. Maybe a 3rd to sanitize the bottles and hand them to the filler, and then take the capped bottles from the capper and move them aside. Get an assembly line going.

edit: oh, and maybe consider a cheaper, lower quality, capper as a backup, in case your main one fails part way through the batch.

Sounds like a bench capper is what i need and we will have 3 friends so your assembly line kind of idea sounds like the fastest. Thanks for the quick help i'll look into buying online right now.

With friends and the volume of beer go with two or three bench cappers. The cappers don't degrade with time but are always there to use.

Grolsch bottles.... the easy button.

Option two: the wing capper. It's amazing how fast they go once you get your rhythm down.

+1 on bench capper
+1 on big bottles - I have a 1.5 litre beer bottle from Belgium, don't think my caps would fit though!

Don't forget to buy caps if you need them, and priming sugar.

Bottle at least one in a small plastic Coke/water bottle, so you can check on carbonation (and clarity, although less relevant for a stout)

Bottles and caps will need cleaning and sterilising - the cleaning can get quite boring. A dishwasher can be good for a final sterilise/rinse.

See if you can get hold of some bigger containers - a polypin or whatever, even some big plastic Coke etc bottles. The beer won't keep for long in them, but they can seem quite attractive somewhere around bottle 150!!! :)

Great! Thanks ewveryone. Each post here has been beyond helpful and much appreciated.

One word....especially for 20 gallons of beer.....KEGS! :D

Yes I know I'm headed in this direction but the cost is too great. Here's some back of the paper math I just did:

Keg: $80
Kegerator: $500

I can't afford right now just to get 2 bottles to a competition.

is__mell__weird?

When buying a bench capper, make sure to get a high quality one. I bout one of the $40-50 ones and was never able to keep the bottling height set right due to the plastic stops. I ended up buying this one and haven't had any complaints.

When I first started brewing 2 years ago, I used a cheap wing capper that came with a kit from NB. After breaking 4-5 bottle necks I borrowed a Super Agata bench capper from a brewing buddy. It worked flawlessly, but I didn't like how the frame would bend every time I put on a cap. So....after lots of research, I bought a $45 Grifo Bench Capper and never looked back. I have capped about 800 bottles with it and it's frame doesn't bend....I actually look forward to bottling day now. Anyways, here's where I bought mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BENCH-CAPPER-CAP-HOMEBREW-BEER-SODA-KOMBUCHA-BOTTLE-GRIFO-ECO-KIT-w-CROWN-CAPS/331211485425?epid=1931644743&hash=item4d1dbe30f1:g:0jQAAOSwHQ9WWSZF:sc:USPSPriority!34609!US!-1

Hi, new to brewing here. Got a lot of equipment handed down to me, but realizing not a capper, and have a 20 gallon stout fermenting right now. I want to enter a competition so need to bottle but 20 gallons looks like over 210 bottles! I was shocked and acrtually had to check the math on a second calculator to be sure and yes it is that much. I think I'll be able to get that much as we have lots of bottles here and more coming but the capping makes me nervous. It will be a few of us I think but what's the best method for capping this volume reliably? I know There are cheap plastic ones and then there's bench cappers, maybe others. Thanks for helping a new brewer!
So how did the cupcake stout score in competition? What BJCP category did you enter it in?

So how did the cupcake stout score in competition? What BJCP category did you enter it in?

Hi thank you for your interest. It scored well in its category. I’m in the truck but will find the paper as I plan to shellack it on my bar top. I was quite proud. I am working on opening a brewery this will be one of my flagships. I may start a newsletter, maybe you’ll subscribe and we will alert you. Not very technical, so this might not happen. Will post back here for sure.

I've been using the same Super Agata for nearly 12 years now. The frame does flex but I think this is to mitigate any problems with the bottle not being centered under the bell. Before bottling check that the bell is still screwed in tight. Check the body screws that they are still snug. Use keg lube or vegetable oil on the column to make height adjustments of the body for different bottles smoother.

I have a spare just in case. Couldn't pass it up when I saw it at a nearby home brew shop for $32.

I have a helper with me when I bottle. I get my bottles sanitized, then I have Dad ( my helper) fill the bottles as i cap and box. Depending on how many people you have, you could swap out from time to time. If there is just 3, 1 fills, 1 cap, and one puts bottles away and gets bottles ready for filler.

Great ideas thank you. Very happy to have knowledgeable resources here.

I would recommend a Colonna capper. The more expensive model (~$80) comes with capping bells for 26 and 29mm bottles, and it corks as well. It is made of plastic, but it is very thick and sturdy. If you ever think you may cork (either wine or Belgian style beer), then the price is pretty reasonable.

Hi thank you for your interest. It scored well in its category. I’m in the truck but will find the paper as I plan to shellack it on my bar top. I was quite proud. I am working on opening a brewery this will be one of my flagships. I may start a newsletter, maybe you’ll subscribe and we will alert you. Not very technical, so this might not happen. Will post back here for sure.
So did you find the competition results paper? Can you post a photo of it? I am dying to know what the judges thought of your unique cupcake stout entry. I bet they'd never tasted anything like it.

Like @beernutz I too am anxiously awaiting to hear more about this. It sounds really interested and I'm always curious to know how things like this turn out. I currently have a Kölsch fermenting which I will be incorporating donuts and concord grape jelly for an "Iron Brew" competition. I'll be kegging this Kölsch tonight if all goes as planned. Cheers!

So did you find the competition results paper? Can you post a photo of it? I am dying to know what the judges thought of your unique cupcake stout entry. I bet they'd never tasted anything like it.

I would be happy to share, problem is you and your friends are harassing me in another thread. I have a spreadsheet of the troublemakers and I have a theory that you are all jay jay under false handles.

I would be happy to share, problem is you and your friends are harassing me in another thread. I have a spreadsheet of the troublemakers and I have a theory that you are all jay jay under false handles.
I have had an HBT account since 2007 so you are accusing me of being all the other "harassing" accounts since mine was created before theirs. I assure you I am only beernutz on HBT.

Let me get this straight..... A kegger is not in the budget. You're on here trying to work out how to put a cap on a bottle. Yet, you're opening a brewery?

Something smells weird!

Last edited:

OP, I really hope you share the results! I'm serious when I asked a little earlier, I am curious to know how you did. Here's a link of my thread I started asking for suggestions on a beer style and how to incorporate the donuts and jelly into the beer. Thanks!

28711307-9AF0-40D3-905A-1CA536A15FDC.jpeg

ah, cool. Well best of luck to you. Where will the brewery be?

Thanks! So far its all been pretty easy, but like I said I was basically given this giant box of legos and it's a matter of just finding guys to help me piece it all together. I'm in North Dakota.

I have had an HBT account since 2007 so you are accusing me of being all the other "harassing" accounts since mine was created before theirs. I assure you I am only beernutz on HBT.

I'm sorry if you're not, but I find it very interesting that all of a sudden everyone is bashing me and jayjay disappears. Then you all go away and he has something to say. Rinse repeat over and over like clock work.

I'm sorry if you're not, but I find it very interesting that all of a sudden everyone is bashing me and jayjay disappears. Then you all go away and he has something to say. Rinse repeat over and over like clock work.

I find it suspicious that you and JayJay never post at the same time...
Is JayJay trolling his own troll account?

Hey OP @ismellweird will you post the results of your cupcake stout? I just racked my Kölsch over to the serving keg, with jelly and a donut tincture in there for our "Iron Brew" competition. I posted an update in my thread last night. I am curious how your cupcake stout turned out. Did it get ding'ed for anything? Was there any issues with the sugars from the cupcakes that caused the bottles to be gushers? Please share! Cheers!

Back