Best brewery to visit in the detroit area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n240sxguy

Reaction score
I'm visiting some family near Detroit and Lapeer Michigan for Christmas. Can anybody recommend a good brewery to visit while I'm there?

If I had to pick one I'd say Kuhnhenn in Warren. Small yet legendary. They usually have about 12-15 beers on tap and carry a decent vintage selection of their rare and hard to find bottles. If you really know your craft beer stuff its just a must visit at least once kinda place. Read up on em if you haven't heard of em

Cool. I'll check them out. I would just go to all of them, but this is probably gonna be a date night kinda thing, so I'm limited to one stop. May be able to squeeze two in. I'll have to see.

Black Lotus in Clawson is an epic small brewery. I am a teacher in Lapeer, there are no breweries in the area yet..

There is a cool bar in Burton, about 12 miles west of Lapeer that has 56 Michigan beers on tap plus 15 or so other micro brews. Bill (the owner) is waiting on his federal permits before he can start brewing his own beer to have on tap; he has a small, I think 1.5 bbl system....

If you decide to go downtown Detroit there are three breweries in close range of each other.Motor City Brewing has good pizza okay food,Detroit Beer Company has good food and a great rotating tap selection and Atwater has a taproom right inside their brewery(very awesome to take in)but no food.

I was wondering about atwater. My BIL loves their vanilla java stout. I made one to take with me that I think blows theirs clear out of the water. I'm not usually as proud of my beer, but this one can stand on its own two feet, at least in my book.

I was wondering about atwater. My BIL loves their vanilla java stout. I made one to take with me that I think blows theirs clear out of the water. I'm not usually as proud of my beer, but this one can stand on its own two feet, at least in my book.

I can believe that about the Java stout not a huge fan of Atwater but the SWMBO likes them so...

Ridire said:
Kuhnhenn Dragonmead Detroit Beer Co Those would be my three priorities. None are really close to Lapeer, though.
I'm actually going to Lapeer and Taylor. I think Taylor is south west of Detroit, so I should be able to swing buy the Detroit ones.

n240sxguy said:
I'm actually going to Lapeer and Taylor. I think Taylor is south west of Detroit, so I should be able to swing buy the Detroit ones.

Taylor is more accessible to Warren and Detroit (especially since Dragonmead is right along I94). I was at Detroit Beer Co two weeks ago and they had an excellent IPA on tap.

Not a brewery but they have their own beer brand, I think, and have a ton on tap as well as great food, try slows bbq

theck said:
Great food, check out Ford museum as well if you have kids, or not. Fun place.
We went there when we visited a few years back. Definitely near the top of my list. I can just stand there and look at all that cool stuff for hours on end.

Kuhnhenn is having there winter solstice party next weekend 12/20 - 12/22. They do a big bottle release that you can view at here...

http://beerpulse.com/2013/11/kuhnhe...release-details-for-winter-solstice-2013-1984

But they also put a bunch of fantastic stuff on tap which usually lasts for a little while after that weekend. They also have really good wine, in case your wife doesn't drink beer. Also note they don't really serve food but allow you to bring outside food in. My wife and I grab Mediterranean food from a place down the road often to bring in.

Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine, DRIPA, Michigan Mud damn good beers

I just had a thought. If you are in Lapeer, you are a shorter drive to Frankenmuth than to Detroit. Frankenmuth is a really neat place to spend a weekend and has great beer and a couple of decent breweries. If you are with the wife, you will probably enjoy Frankenmuth more than Detroit.

I just had a thought. If you are in Lapeer, you are a shorter drive to Frankenmuth than to Detroit. Frankenmuth is a really neat place to spend a weekend and has great beer and a couple of decent breweries. If you are with the wife, you will probably enjoy Frankenmuth more than Detroit.

Winter Solstice at Kuhnehenn or Frankenmuth....cmon Ridire really? Lol

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Winter Solstice at Kuhnehenn or Frankenmuth....cmon Ridire really? Lol

I didn't say the breweries were as good. I'm just saying it is a nice place to go with the wife and there is good beer there.

If it is a 100% beer related trip, then Warren it is ( Dragonmead and Kuhnehenn). But if you're looking for a nice weekend, with some decent beer, then Frankemuth is the better destination.

Here is another thought.

To the OP, is there a specific style of beer you really want to taste at these breweries?

Dragonmead is a great brewery and I would never turn down a chance to go. They have excellent stouts and porters. One of the best Scotish Strong Ales I have ever had was at that brewery. I am not a huge fan of Belgian Strong Ales but Final Absolution is the best Trippel I have ever tasted. BUT, if you are a hard core hophead, Dragonmead may let you down. Broken Paddle IPA is a quality beer but it does not have the kind of hop forward taste you get from places like Lagunitas, Founders, Bells, Dogfish Head, etc. I love my IPA's but if that is the style I am judging a brewery by, Dragonmead would not rank as high with me as it does.

Kuhennen - I am not sure how the hoppy beers stack up. I have never been to their site, only having tasted their beers at festivals. Every beer of theirs I have ever had has been great...but I have never tasted anything hoppy from them.

Here is another thought.

To the OP, is there a specific style of beer you really want to taste at these breweries?

Dragonmead is a great brewery and I would never turn down a chance to go. They have excellent stouts and porters. One of the best Scotish Strong Ales I have ever had was at that brewery. I am not a huge fan of Belgian Strong Ales but Final Absolution is the best Trippel I have ever tasted. BUT, if you are a hard core hophead, Dragonmead may let you down. Broken Paddle IPA is a quality beer but it does not have the kind of hop forward taste you get from places like Lagunitas, Founders, Bells, Dogfish Head, etc. I love my IPA's but if that is the style I am judging a brewery by, Dragonmead would not rank as high with me as it does.

Kuhennen - I am not sure how the hoppy beers stack up. I have never been to their site, only having tasted their beers at festivals. Every beer of theirs I have ever had has been great...but I have never tasted anything hoppy from them.

Kuhnhenn has a few good hoppy beers. Simcoe Silly and DRIPA, best IPA I've ever had.

Frankenmuth is already on my list. We went there last visit and it was awesome! I just dabble into IPA's here and there. I find they are a great pallet cleanser to let you regain perspective so you can notice the subtleness of other beer types. If you don't shock the ole taste buds sometimes, they just get lost in the dark side. Not that I can easily flip flop between the two, but I do enjoy I guess a medium hopped IPA. Too hoppy, and all I taste is pine.

Frankenmuth is already on my list. We went there last visit and it was awesome! I just dabble into IPA's here and there. I find they are a great pallet cleanser to let you regain perspective so you can notice the subtleness of other beer types. If you don't shock the ole taste buds sometimes, they just get lost in the dark side. Not that I can easily flip flop between the two, but I do enjoy I guess a medium hopped IPA. Too hoppy, and all I taste is pine.

Then I would definitely hit Dragonmead.

Ok. Here's an update. Looks like our "date night" is gonna start from lapeer. Anything closer to there than Detroit? I don't think driving an hour to warren is gonna be in the cards. I may end up only visiting the frankenmuth brewery, and picking up a sampler of some of the other beers while I am in michigan.

51 North is a pretty new brewery in Lake Orion. Its not too far from Lapeer. Pretty solid beers as well.

Another option wood be a trip to Clarkston. The Clarkston Union has a pretty big tap list and great mac & cheese. Just down the road is The Union Woodshop which also has some good craft beer and great BBQ. Neither are breweries but they usually have lots of local stuff.

Definitely hit 51 North, good beers and atmosphere. Clubhouse BFD is a great tap bar in Auburn Hills, not too far off I-75 (M59 & Crooks Rd), they have many local and not so local Michigan beers on tap. Sherwood Brewing Company is in Shelby Township, I would recommend them as well. Redwood Lodge is just south of Flint / Grand Blanc, right where I-75 & 23 split. They won best small brew pub at GABF a few years back.

Definitely hit 51 North, good beers and atmosphere. Clubhouse BFD is a great tap bar in Auburn Hills, not too far off I-75 (M59 & Crooks Rd), they have many local and not so local Michigan beers on tap. Sherwood Brewing Company is in Shelby Township, I would recommend them as well. Redwood Lodge is just south of Flint / Grand Blanc, right where I-75 & 23 split. They won best small brew pub at GABF a few years back.

Out of all those do yourself a favor and hit Clubhouse BFD. Check out their taplist at clubhousebfd.com

Kuhnhenn & BFD. I know they have been said but it may help affirm your tour route :mug:
The one thing I didn't like about Kuhnhenn was the lack of food. If you want something you'll have to order it & have it delivered. I really could have used a good bar burger while drinking there in the afternoon.
I wasnt impressed with the one downtown.

Update: I went to frankenmuth brewery, missed the tour, not impressed with their beer.

My wife's sister's boyfriend knows the owner of Atwater brewery, so fingers crossed I get a backstage brewery tour. That would be awesome!

Update: I went to frankenmuth brewery, missed the tour, not impressed with their beer.

My wife's sister's boyfriend knows the owner of Atwater brewery, so fingers crossed I get a backstage brewery tour. That would be awesome!

Most of Frankenmuth's stuff is decent at best. But their Dunkel is the best I've ever had from the US.

I doubt you will be impressed with Atwater. Nothing they make is bad but very little is good.

I doubt you will be impressed with Atwater. Nothing they make is bad but very little is good.

I used three of their draft products, all Bock, at a large Bock Beer Festival I co-chaired a while back at our German Club ... Atwater Voodoo-vader, Atwater Teuful Bock, and Atwater Maibock ... all three were excellent and the people from Atwater were accomodating and easy to work with.

The Atwater beers sold well and this was in the face of competition from about a dozen other bottled bock beers from other brands AND three other non-bock beers on draft (warsteiner, franziskaner, and a bmc brand).

I think it comes down to both the batch and the style. Two of the products were very high gravity ... Voodoovader and Teufel, and they were popular with people who like that style.
I'd use them again and I like their beers.

Definitely go to Atwater. The "tasting room" is in the production facility. The brewers are young & willing to show you around if they have free time.

Too late. Missed out on all the Detroit beer goodness, tour wise anyway. I did have some very good beer while in michigan; I just had to get it from the store. My wife's sister reared her big bitchy head again, so we said F it, and came home early from that half of the michigan experience.

Back