Best Book to read about Home Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libirm

Reaction score
Greetings-
Going on vacation and thought I get a book to read on home brewing, any suggestions?

Thanks

If you're looking for something that covers many aspects of home brewing and is not too technical for a beginner to intermediate brewer the previous post (Papazian) is a good suggestion. Another would be John Palmer's "How to Brew"

if you want something to read because it's interesting theb get the papazian book. If you want something with much clearer instructions then get the palmer book.

As a beginner, and an extract brewer: Joy of Homebrewing by Papazian is my bible. I have also read Palmers how to brew, but honestly only got a little out of it. Both are great books, however Palmers is more about chemistry and math, while Papazians is more instructional and How-To.

Now..... If you are looking for All Grain brewing, Palmers book is great. I will re-read it if I ever convert to all grain, but until then: Joy of Homebrewing is all you will ever need.

If you want to read a third book, my personal favorite is radical brewing. If you want more information on the process the above a great books to start with.

John palmers how to brew is great. Like above its a lot to take in and I've read it 2 times and still don't understand some of it. But the longer I brew the more it makes sense.

Greetings-
Going on vacation and thought I get a book to read on home brewing, any suggestions?

Thanks

I read all the above books when I started a couple years ago, and still use Palmers book as a resource when planning for and on brew day. I would also put a plug in for Yeast by C. White and J. Zainasheff and for designing great beers by Daniels. Both are great resources for improving your hobby. Good luck.

JG

You could also read Palmers first edition for free online, the guy is just that cool.
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I really need to buy the latest addition just to pay back all I have learned from him with that site and other sources. The more sources you read the better you will understand things, they all bring something to the table.

Papazan's book is very interesting - it's a really fun read. But there are some very basic fundamentals missing or incorrect that caused me a few dire cock-ups for which I won't forgive the book. For example, due to his book I did an hour long full boil on a pre-hopped extract kit. Doh! I also got tired of being told to RDWHHB. It was amusing at first but got really milked.

I also read Palmers and found it far less interesting but a lot clearer in the instructions.

I found that none of these books were a complete substitute for this website which has proven to be my ultimate resource thus far.

Another good resource are the many pocasts on the brewing network, Brewstrong and the new Jamil Z. show brewing with style in particular.

You could also read Palmers first edition for free online, the guy is just that cool.
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I really need to buy the latest addition just to pay back all I have learned from him with that site and other sources. The more sources you read the better you will understand things, they all bring something to the table.

Palmer is awesome. His book came with my starter kit and I've read through it several times.

Complete Joy of Homebrewing was a great starter book to be followed by Radical Brewing. Takes you from simple to advanced. I reference both for the type of brew I'm about to create.

This one always gets ignored, but it's a great book: Homebrewing For Dummies by Marty Nachel. (Of course, musn't forget: "You, Yes You! Stand Still Laddie!! Palmer's book, Palmer's book, Palmer's book...)
:mug:

Complete Joy of Homebrewing was a great starter book to be followed by Radical Brewing. Takes you from simple to advanced. I reference both for the type of brew I'm about to create.

I agree with this. I finished Papazian and I'm jumping into radical brewing. Although I'm doing into Palmer's book simultaneously.

I really like Radical Brewing. It's a fun read, and gives a lot of great ideas on techniques and ingredients to use. The recipes look great too. I haven't made any I just use it for inspiration to make my own, but the 12 Beers of Christmas always get great reviews on this forum.

Back