Best beer selection in Midlothian VA (Richmond)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RootDownBrewing

Reaction score
I'm visiting a a friend in Midlothian va I'm trying a find a good place to pick up some microbrews. Any suggestions?

I'm not overly familiar with Midlothian, but if you come closer to Richmond, there's Once Upon A Vine (2 locations), Total Wines, River City Cellars (not a huge selection, but certainly interesting). Capital Ale House sells for off-premises consumption, and ExtraBilly BBQ brews its own, but I don't know if they sell growlers.

Look for Hardywood Park beers (Singel, Mocha Belgique), and Legend Brown Ale. Legend also offers seasonals in 22 oz bottles, most of which are pretty good.

I went to Richmond last thanksgiving, and found this place. It was really great. They had warms and colds, 6 packs to singles. Great selection of beers, wines, and barley wines. The staff was great, they will open a few bottles for you to sample at no cost. And the prices were good. The place is called corks & Kegs: http://www.corksandkegs.com/

Also go to the Legend Brew Pub if you get the chance, great great food, awesome beer!

Capital Ale House on Midlothian Tpk near the intersection w/ Charter Colony for the beer bar experience. Huge selection and try the bacon & smoked gouda mussels they're awesome.

Total Wine at Robious Rd. for shopping.

Once Upon A Vine and Corks and Kegs are great independent stores but they are more in the city than out Midlothian way.

Take your friend a few minutes into the city and do a Brewery day. Visit Strangeways (lots of sours!), Hardywood, Isley, Ardent... Those 4 are all within a few miles of eachother.

Instead of Legends (Good food but never impressed with the beer), go visit Blue Bee Cidery in the same parking lot as legends. Wonderful owner and the many hard ciders will clear your pallet from the hops of the day. Or try the Hopsap Shandy for a mix between the 2.

All of these are fairly close together and in the city of Richmond (Well strangeways might be getting to the outskirts), it is worth the tour for a fee hours.

Haha, wow look at that. I think this visit may have happened already.

Oh god. I was about to post all of my suggestions. How did this even get bumped.

don't know how it got bumped, but I would still love to hear your suggestions.

I just love how the Commonwealth is becoming a beer lovers destination.

don't know how it got bumped, but I would still love to hear your suggestions.

I just love how the Commonwealth is becoming a beer lovers destination.

Ok ok! I am actually somewhat new to the area and live in Chester (work in Richmond). Trinkin.com is fairly decent to see who has what on taps in the area and to find new spots. Bucket Trade in Chester is a tasty little spot that has a decent selection for size. I have heard awesome things about Mekong but have yet to go. Capitol ale house and Sedona's are pretty decent. Brew in Chester is a tasty small little restaurant with rotating taps. For to go style beer, obviously Total Wine and Growlers to Go just opened in Richmond near where I work which is a awesome little place.

**Edit**: Yes, I also agree how awesome it is the Commonwealth is becoming a beer hotspot. Especially Richmond, I think in a few years craft beer is going to be extremely accessible (not that it isn't already) but on a bigger scale. We have lots of breweries and with Stone coming I am sure that will pump up visitors and distribution in the area. I don't always care for all of Richmond culture, but more good craft beer is always ok with me!

And I was also about to post suggestions...

Looks like someone decided to take a crack at necromancy with their first and only post...

Saying it anyway. Mekong. Do it.

I live in the West End of Richmond and work in the Bryan Park area about 5 mins from Mekong.

I will say all the above are great, also go around back of Mekong and check out The Answer Brewpub. An, the beer guy of Mekong, opened Answer and it's got 32 rotating taps of fantastic stuff!

I live in the West End of Richmond and work in the Bryan Park area about 5 mins from Mekong.

I will say all the above are great, also go around back of Mekong and check out The Answer Brewpub. An, the beer guy of Mekong, opened Answer and it's got 32 rotating taps of fantastic stuff!

Not too far from where I work. I pass Bryan Park when I am hitting Original Gravity and used to play on the CVSA league at Bryan Park since I see your username is soccer related I'll assume you're familiar with CVSA.

Back