best beer places in Montreal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Hey guys! So, a friend of mine who's a real beer drinker moved to Montreal and he's lamenting not being able to find Belgians anymore. He says he can find great local beers but not a ton of range. Anybody know some beer places there with a lot of choices, with a nice atmosphere, or places to buy beer to take home?

My favorites for brewpubs are Benelux and Dieu du Ciel. Benelux usually has some belgain beers(house ones) on tap. There is another bar (hmmm...let me check the name) that has some micro's(local) and some belgain imports......i think that it's called St-Bock(I've only been once!). Another place close to there is the Cheval Blanc. I have not been there in years but some friends have said the the beer is pretty good. Apparently sometimes the have an India Red Ale on cask that is supposed to be phenomenal.

Hope that helps

In Montreal, my favorite place is Dieu du Ciel! They are brewing quite a lot of different kinds of beer, and have success in each. The Belgian ABT of this place is called the Rigor Mortis ABT which is quite fantastic. This is not Belgian, but the Pêché Mortel (Imperial Stout) is fantastic (voted the best beer in Canada on ratebeer) and the Aphrodisiaque is wonderful (cacao+vanilla stout).

Your friend can go to these great places for beer in Montreal (these are brewpubs) :

L'Amère à boire http://brouepubbrouhaha.com/ (Specialized in Czech's Pils, but good beers overall)

Benelux : http://www.brasseriebenelux.com/ (Never went, but heard a lot of great things)

Brouhaha : http://brouepubbrouhaha.com/ (Although, when I went there, there were not a lot of choices. Still, the atmosphere is great and weird at the same time, as the pub kept the decoration from the tavern who was there before)

Dieu du Ciel : http://www.dieuduciel.com/ (Greatest brewery in town)

Le Cheval Blanc : http://www.lechevalblanc.ca/ (Choice rather limited there)

Le St-Bock : Great Belgian imported beers selection (although, a bit pricey) + Great tap selections of Quebec's beer. Really a great place. http://www.lesaintbock.com/

Vices Versa : http://www.vicesetversa.com/ (not a brewpub, but have a great selections of Quebec's beers)

The Saint-Bock also have a lot of Belgium's imported beers (Rochefort 10, Kaiser Blauw, St. Bernardus, etc... if you're ready to pay)

As for stores...

Keep in mind, in Montreal, you don't have a lot of choices as the state has the monopole in alcohol beverages. Which means Quebec decides what beers he imports, and what you can buy. Sure, you can do some private imports, but you have to do it by the government and at the government's price. So when you have a store specialized in beers... well, that store mainly has Quebec made beer. You won't find American beers, nor Belgian beers, nor Canadian beers in general.

Now, in the beer stores (there's some stores in Montreal specialized in Quebec's beer) area, I would recommend:

http://www.depanneurpeluso.com/
http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Quebec/Montreal/Depanneur-Simon-Anthony/2240897.html (This place is ugly as hell, very small, but the Quebec's beer selection is good and the prices are great).

Maybe I could search some more stores if you want, but these two stores have a great selection. Keep in mind, an author I read about Quebec's beer once said that the province of Quebec has the greatest breweries in the world (yeah, that's debatable), but also the worst breweries. So I would suggest to your friend to never buy beers from these breweries : Breughel, l'Alchimiste, Multi-Brasses, Le Grimoire. They can sometime do some good beers, but overall, I prefer not to drink from them. Especially Breughel who has a very bad reputation for selling infected beers...

While these are very good breweries : Dieu du Ciel!, Simple Malt, Microbrasserie de Charlevoix, Microbrasserie de la Nouvelle-Orléans, Brasseurs et Frères, A l'abri de la tempête (the Corne de Brume, a Scotch Ale, is truly fantastic), Hopfenstark, Les Trois Mousquetaires (the 750 ml bottles special beers are always great... Baltic Porter, Weizenbock, Doppelbock are really great beers... but the "normal beer" (red, white, black and blond) are average). I must be forgetting some, but... I'm trying to give your friend some starting point to Quebec's beers.

As your friend like belgian beers, I would suggest these beers (in Quebec):

- Dominus Vobiscum Double (A belgian dubbel)
- Dominus Vobiscum Triple (A belgian tripel)
- Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus (Rare... but maybe he can still find some)
- Dominus Vobiscum Hibernus (Same...)
- Unibroue 3-Pistoles (A belgian Quad.) (Which he surely knows...)
- Unibroue Fin du monde (A belgian tripel)
- Rigor Mortis ABT (A belgian Quad.)

I forgot to tell you... I thought about it while going to work...

In Montreal, there's a lot of SAQ (state-controlled liquor stores (Société des Alcool du Québec)). There's not a lot of beers, but let's face it, the beers you can find there are excellent. There's also a lot of wine. Here's the website if your friend want to browse through the selection : http://www.saq.com

You can find Orval there:
http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/store...Id=92707&parent_category_rn=&shouldCachePage=

Or Chimay Grande Réserve :
http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/store...Id=57415&parent_category_rn=&shouldCachePage=

You can also easily find these great beers (including many belgian beers) :
Chouffe Houblon, McChouffe, Delirium Tremens, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Duvel, Floreffe, Maredsous, Mort Subite Cherry/Strawbeery...

You can also find these non-belgian beers: Schneider Aventinus, Schneider Weisse, Fuller's London Pride and Fuller's Porter and Rogue Dead Guy Ale.

If your friend like stouts, then he might like the easily available McAuslan Oatmeal Stout at any beer stores.

Of all the beer styles to find in Montreal, belgian's are the easiest to find. Back when I was living there, the big hop movement that's been going on in the in the US hasn't reach Montreal yet. You'd be hard pressed to find an american style pale ale or IPA. Basically nothing over 40 IBUs. But belgians are fairly common.

Of all the beer styles to find in Montreal, belgian's are the easiest to find. Back when I was living there, the big hop movement that's been going on in the in the US hasn't reach Montreal yet. You'd be hard pressed to find an american style pale ale or IPA. Basically nothing over 40 IBUs. But belgians are fairly common.

And I think it will take some times before the big hop movement arrive here. As the importation of beer is state-controlled, I never saw any american beers here (except BMC... and one or two Sam Adams and Rogue Dead Guy Ale). As there's not a lot of american beers, well, the hop movement doesn't touch us. I would like to drink some hoppy american beers like Pliny the Elder/the Younger or The Arrogant Bastard and the like, because, you know, I read about them so often on this board, but I guess I'll have to wait quite a bit.

Heck, I had to go to a LCBO (liquor store in Ontario) to get an Anchor Liberty Ale. Which was very good BTW.

The only way to drink some american beer here, is at the Mondial de la Bière de Montréal (OP's friend may want to come at this even) -- June 2nd to June 6th. Beers from all around the world will be there.

dont get too hooked on those IPAs and pales, otherwise you're gonna have horrible withdrawal symptoms when they leave town.

Dieu de Ciel is one of my favorite brewpubs, maybe second favorite after Pelican Pub(you can't beat drinking a pint on the beach looking at Haystack Rock and then going across the street to your hotel and sitting in a hot tub in your room while looking at Haystack Rock and drinking the 750 of Pelican beer you brought back).

Only glanced at the guy from Montreal's post, and he pretty much hit the nail on the head. Close the thread ;) I just moved away from there, only thing he didn't mention was don't drink Boreale :D

I'm sure if your friend likes Belgian's, he's certainly discovered the Unibroue 750ml's.... they're some of the best non-trappist ales I've ever had! I would to through their line-up time and time again if I were him! (Well, I actually have... there are some Depaneurs that run fantastic deals on those!)

Out in Quebec City there is a Belgian Bed and Breakfast with good food, really good draft beer and a really good bottle selection (including Westvleteren). Can't remember the name but it is easy to find. The owners are super cool. They serve lunch and dinner to anybody, you don't have to stay there.

Out in Quebec City there is a Belgian Bed and Breakfast with good food, really good draft beer and a really good bottle selection (including Westvleteren). Can't remember the name but it is easy to find. The owners are super cool. They serve lunch and dinner to anybody, you don't have to stay there.
This may be the St. James Pub which is affiliated with the Hôtel Manoir Victoria. But, you can always also cross the street, and just to go the Pub St. Alexandre which offers you a lot of variety in terms of imported beers from all-around the beers (if you're ready to pay)...

Only glanced at the guy from Montreal's post, and he pretty much hit the nail on the head. Close the thread ;) I just moved away from there, only thing he didn't mention was don't drink Boreale :D

I'm sure if your friend likes Belgian's, he's certainly discovered the Unibroue 750ml's.... they're some of the best non-trappist ales I've ever had! I would to through their line-up time and time again if I were him! (Well, I actually have... there are some Depaneurs that run fantastic deals on those!)
Well, Unibroue's Trois-Pistoles is the beer I can always rely on. I almost always have a 6-pack on hand. Great go-to beer.

Heck, I had to go to a LCBO (liquor store in Ontario) to get an Anchor Liberty Ale. Which was very good BTW.

And isn't it sad when anybody has to go to Ontario to buy any liquor? Worst laws ever...specially the beer store.

But ranting aside, i very much second the mcauslin oatmeal stout. As well their pale ale is nothing special, but it is a good beer if you are out of your own house brew.

There are a few brewing companies in the ottawa area that are decent. beau's all natural brewing from Vankleek Hill, ON is excellent. Their seasonals are always great, and their staple called "lug tread" is quite good. No idea how difficult it would be to find/sell that in QC though.

This may be the St. James Pub which is affiliated with the Hôtel Manoir Victoria. But, you can always also cross the street, and just to go the Pub St. Alexandre which offers you a lot of variety in terms of imported beers from all-around the beers (if you're ready to pay)...

http://www.douceursbelges.ca/restaurant.html

This is the place I was talking about, but I have been to St. James Pub and Pub St. Alexandre and enjoyed both. The place above is kinda in the boonies, worth the trip though.

There are a few brewing companies in the ottawa area that are decent. beau's all natural brewing from Vankleek Hill, ON is excellent. Their seasonals are always great, and their staple called "lug tread" is quite good. No idea how difficult it would be to find/sell that in QC though.
As far as I know, there's no Canadian craft beers (except those made in Quebec) available here in the province of Quebec except the Yukon Midnight Sun Espresso Stout. The beers coming in our province is controlled by the SAQ -- they choose/decide what we drink as imported beers. So we only have a selection of a few Belgian/German and American beers (except BMC). And one Canadian. But, luckily, they have no power over Quebec's home beers. And Quebecer's are just starting to discover beer as something else than just a lower-class alcohol. Rapidly, the SAQ is increasing their beer selections.

The first micro-breweries opened in Quebec in 1987 with Le Cheval Blanc and Unibroue. Before that, the only beer availables where Molson/Labatt and some O'Keefe. So the beer tradition is still not there -- people in Quebec prefers wines over beers. And Molson/Labatt/Bud over craft beers because that's more refreshing, easy to drink and doesn't taste anything. No wonder why the SAQ has such a small choices -- people doesn't like craft beers. But that's slowly changing. Now, each years, new microbreweries are opening and thing are getting interesting!

Of course, you can do some private imports (by the SAQ), but this give rise to a lot of paperworks and such. So you can go through company like Bieropholie / Quebecbieres to do some private imports and they act as an intermediate agent between you and the SAQ, but you have to buy a full 24 case of beers of each beer you want, and this is rater pricey...

Latest posts

Back