Best all around Wyeast Lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to attempt my first Lager, probably a german pilsner, but would like to get a lager yeast that is good for a few different styles, like Munich Helles, etc.

Which Wyeast pack would do the job?

Second. The Munich Lager strain is an absolute beast. It took my Helles from 1.053 to 1.006 and my Vienna from 1.055 to 1.009, both in under two weeks. Pitched at 47*, fermented the first 4 days at 49*, then ramped up one degree every 36 hours or so til it finished out at 56*. Absolutely no diacetyl to speak of, didn't even need to do a rest. Make sure you pitch enough, though.

The yeast profile is nice and subtle, but tasty; it really lets the malt shine through. Neither of the styles I've used it on have been particularly highly hopped, but even the .5oz finishing addition in my Helles is noticeable, so I don't think it'd mute hop flavor or aroma in other styles.

Yep, go with 2308. A true workhorse of a lager yeast and it has an excellent profile. Make a huge starter, as johnny suggested.

Latest posts

Back