Best 15G Brew Pot in the $100-$150 range (shipped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
Getting into BIAB and my 8 gallon probably isn't going to cut it very well/easily.

The pots I have are the generic ones that come with kits and are pretty thin-walled...what's the best 15G pot out there in the $100 range. I have valves and stuff but it would be nice if it came with a valve and thermo.

I’ve been happy with my concord kettles. They’re fairly thick and sturdy. I have one for an HLT and one for a Boil Kettle

15g is a tricky number. Its fine for 5 g but not so much for 10. But for 5 will be plenty of room. Just my humble exp. While not ss, my aluninum kettle is thick and durable for the money. Around 80 for the 15g.
Getting into BIAB and my 8 gallon probably isn't going to cut it very well/easily.

The pots I have are the generic ones that come with kits and are pretty thin-walled...what's the best 15G pot out there in the $100 range. I have valves and stuff but it would be nice if it came with a valve and thermo.

The best deal would be to find something on craigslist or facebook marketplace, but that can be hit or miss depending on where you live.

Before I bought my electric system, I was looking for a kettle in that size range and these were two that I kept my eye on. They both get pretty solid reviews and have 2 ports. But with BIAB, be careful with the temperature probe as it can rip the bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N249Y2Y/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A2KQZXNM4Q71FY&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DY5V4B6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A2KBKE1A991P4A&psc=1

I have looked at both of those...been watching craigslist too but nothing much good there as of late.

I wondered about the thermo probe interfering with the bag. Do most people just stick a kitchen thermo in for BIAB?

The best deal would be to find something on craigslist or facebook marketplace, but that can be hit or miss depending on where you live.

Before I bought my electric system, I was looking for a kettle in that size range and these were two that I kept my eye on. They both get pretty solid reviews and have 2 ports. But with BIAB, be careful with the temperature probe as it can rip the bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N249Y2Y/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A2KQZXNM4Q71FY&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DY5V4B6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A2KBKE1A991P4A&psc=1

The probe in the latter is def a problem.

You're not going to get a good kettle (thick stainless, actual 304SS material, welded fittings, etc) for $100 but the Concord is a good entry level kettle.

I use a bayou classic 15.5 gallon kettle which I find plenty big enough for 11 gallons of beer into the conicals... this is with electric though.. if your using a triclad bottom with a burner you will want a lot of headspace due to the poor heat control.

The concords are good kettles for homebrewing...searching out 304 stainless is really pointless for homebrewing as its real advantage is holding up to caustic cleaners in a brewery...(non issue for 99% of homebrewers.) the concord kettles are fairly thick and hold up well but the demensions are not ideal for brewing as wider kettles dont boil as efficiently and vent more heat to atmosphere..

I recommend jumping up to a 20G. It's future proof, and it isn't any harder to handle than a 15G. At some point in time, you may want to move to double batches....and a 20G for large grain bill double batches makes it cake!

Take a look on Spike's bargain page. Sometimes you can find pretty good deals. They are cool enough that if you email them, they will send you pictures. I bought a 20G kettle from them super cheap. The flaw? It didn't have the Spike logo. LOL.

The most useful thing for a kettle IMO is the inside fill markings. I use them all the time. The second thing is at least having a ball valve spout. Everything else, noy necessary, unless you have some sort of pump setup.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "keggle" based options. All 3 of my vessels are made form them. Strong, inexpensive, versatile. No bling factor, but capable of making good beer, yeah...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "keggle" based options. All 3 of my vessels are made form them. Strong, inexpensive, versatile. No bling factor, but capable of making good beer, yeah...

I used a keggle once but found it a bit awkward to use and bought a 15g pot instead.

I did that back in the day before 100 kettle manufactures came out of the woodwork. Once you go kettle, you never go back to keggle. They are back breakers. Not only that but only like 1% of the kegs used to make brew pots are legally obtained. No, I'm not interested in getting into a debate about the legality of cutting up a brewery's kegs.

Fair enough, but with the abuse my rig takes brewing outdoors, the thinner walled cheaper kettles would probably not hold up, let alone stand up to my DYI welding modifications.

The thicker walled, better kettles are nice, I would not mind having some day, but are not near price range of OP.

As to origins of my kegs anyway...I doubt Old Latrobe Brewing is missing its kegs, which were removed woods on a jobsite during dump run.

I biab so full volume and large grain bill needs a sparge in 15g. Also I like plenty of head room. For full volume biab 10 g a 20g pot should be seen as minimum size. And agreeing with post above, 20g is future proof. I am doubling down on my reccomendation for 20g, if only one pot is going to be bought, and with the caveat being biab. I routinely brew 10g batches starting with 13g and 22 pounds of grain or so. That is maximum iirc that my 15g holds. Working right to the brim like that is never desirable. I love my 80 dollar aluminum btw.
Have you actually tried? I’ve been brewing 10g batches in a 15g pot for 10 years.

Back