Berliner Weisse question - split batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharma

Reaction score
We brewed a Berliner Weisse today after much debate about what to do for fermentation. We considered either the Wyeast or White Labs blends, or just using a combination of yeast and lacto. After looking at the minimal grain bill, we decided why the hell not try both??

So, this marks our first 10gal batch. The wort was split in half, 5gal with the WLP630 BW blend and the other 5gal with WLP011 Euro ale yeast & Wyeast 5335 Lacto. The WLP blend will be kept at 82*F for 48-72hr before bringing it down to 72-75*F.

We also decided to split the second batch in half again, 2.5gal with the sacc and 2.5gal with the lacto. I plan to let the lacto portion run at 82*F and get the yeast batch going at 72*F.

My question is this: for the second half, how long should I wait to combine the bug batch with the yeast batch? I'm really curious to see how this turns out with the preformulated blend vs. the separate batches.

Grain Bill
Pilsner: 7 lb (45.74%)
Pale Wheat: 6 lb (41.38%)
White Wheat:2 lb (12.88%)

15min @ 122
45min @ 146
30min @ 154
mash out, collect 12 gal
15min boil w/ 5/8oz N.Brewer (7% AA)

SG:1.031

Honestly, I would do it to taste. The lacto has the potential to get it really sour, but I would stop it where you find it enjoyable. Now keep in mind that you'll be diluting the sourness, so you'll want it way over the top and just blend it back in to a point you find pleasant. You might consider bringing the soured beer to a boil to kill the lacto, but I don't think that'll be necessary.

I'm interested to hear what you find out.

Back