Berline and OYL-065 problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordan Ham

Reaction score
Hey everyone! First post and question here.

I made the recipe below, but the real recipe calls for White Labs Lacto delbrueski yeast. my homebrew guy said that the Omega below would be fine. I used it but didn't realize it is extremely hop sensitive with an IBU over 3 and this recipe is about 7. The gravity is currently 1.09 or so after 3 days, it is supposed to be 1.006. So it seems like this yeast probably isnt able to do its thing.

Omega's email response was

It may get slightly sour over time. You could add lactic acid to get a tart edge. Or do it again without the hops and blend the two batches.

Any ideas? Can I get the right yeast and just add that at this point or is too late?

Berliner Weisse
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
3 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 60.0 % 0.29 gal
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 40.0 % 0.20 gal
0.10 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 3.3 IBUs -
0.25 oz Palisade [7.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 4.4 IBUs -
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 - -
0.75 oz Palisade [7.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs -
1.0 pkg German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 - -
1.0 pkg Lactobacillus Blend (Omega #OYL-605) Yeast 8 - -

OYL-065
A Lactobacillus brevis and plantarum blend that is clean and reliable with a wide temperature range. The plantarum, isolated in collaboration with Marz Community Brewing, sours efficiently at lower temperatures. Maximum souring develops typically within 48 hours with no need to hold high temperatures as it is efficient at the lower end of its range. Note also that the blend is extremely hop sensitive, so make sure to add only to unhopped wort.

This is 5 gallons, right?

Adding more Lactobacillus (bacteria, not yeast) at this point will not make it sour, and it probably won't become sour.

Easy newbie mistake, at least the beer will still be good, though not what you were expecting. We'd be happy to run through the recipe & process for your next sour.
Definitely don't use any hops before souring.

Welcome to HBT!

Back