Bentonite and other fining agents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauritsen

Reaction score
Hello

I have some bentonite which I put in the must pre-fermentation, as I read it helps fermentation and helps taking away proteins. Post ferment it is still not clear (should it be?) but I have kieselsol and gelatine.

Now that I have already used bentonite, I am afraid to use too much fining or is that not an issue?

Shall I use same amount has the product label says or shall I use less now that I have used bentonite.... or shall I not use kieselsol at all as kieselsol and benotinite are negative?

I have racked off the sediment (yeast and benonite).

Thanks.

What type of wine? did you use real fruit? and how long has it been since you racked? Bentonite certainly helps the wine clear after fermentation but it can take a few weeks or longer without additional fining agents like kieselsol. I use bentonite during fermentation and then bulk age most of my wines without the additional fining agents. But if you are in a hurry, go ahead and add the kieselsol per instructions. That will likely clear it up in 24-48 hours.

Also look at Sparkloid as a fining agent. I had an extremely cloudy plum wine that would not clear....even after months and multiple rankings. One dose of Sparkloid and two days later, it was clear enough to read through.

Sorry, to answer your question, you can use both products (bentonite before) and (kieselsol after) per instructions. No need to adjust the amounts.

You guys mention using kieselsol after fermentation which is negative charged as bentonite.
Dont you mean kieselsol AND gelatine ??

Add kieselsol and then stir well, then add gelatin (dissolved in water as per instructions) and stir well. Rack after 2 weeks.

As a note, I don't think you HAVE to use both together but I think the results are better if you do.

Ok Thanks
When there Are finings in Kits The amount og kieselsol is about 1/3 of The other component. Do you agree to that amount?

My suggestion actually for all curious about different finning agents.. http://www.scottlab.com/pdf/ScottLabsHandbook2015.pdf they are a commercial supplier but there is similar if not the same products available for the home brew market and in general it is a great book for reference and if you are in the niagara region (ontario, canada) check out laffort (they sell most stuff in smaller bags through a place called vines to vintages which sells to home brewers and wineries both)

Chef-Ryan,
Great post, I recommend Scott Labs Fermentation Handbook all of the time, it is an amazing "tool" that everyone should have, and use.

Latest posts

Back