Belle Saison yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_ATL73

Reaction score
I need some help with a question on Belle Saison yeast.

I recently brewed up a saison with fresh sage using belle saison yeast.

The recipe I used is the same base recipe that I have made and enjoyed before but i added fresh sage the last 5 min of the boil.

Tasting a sample of the wort tasted great and the aroma and flavor of sage was really there.

I've pulled the first pint about 4 weeks after brewing and the beer is extremely phenolic-with slight medicinal flavor.

I used a second generation belle yeast from a Mason jar from a previous saison about 2 weeks earlier.
This batch fermented out all the way to 1.002 which I've never had happen before with this yeast strain. And interestingly, this generation of yeast that I harvested and stored from this batch continued to ferment in the Mason jar and almost created a mini bomb in my fridge- thankfully I spotted the bulging metal top and tossed it.

My question is could I have had an infection somehow with this yeast? Would that be a reason for it fermenting out so much and for the stored yeast to continue to ferment? Also, I used essentially the same recipe and process on this batch and it came out with some pretty bad off flavors- thoughts?

My question is could I have had an infection somehow with this yeast?
It's possible, but the things you're describing are chacteristic of this yeast strain.

What other off flavors are present besides generic phenolic/medicinal?

I have never had Belle Saison finish above 1.002 over many batches; it's my go to Saison yeast. I have also used it fresh from the packet and out to generation 3, same performance. I am not sure it was 100 % done fermenting... see below.

Belle Saison is a diastaticus variety of beer yeast. It will eat some sugars that other strains of S. cerevisae will not eat. If you bottled it (or put it in a Mason jar) prior to it finish the ferment completely (and I mean absolutely finished), it will continue to ferment. My typical fermentation with this yeast runs 30 days, because I bottle and I don't want to chance over-pressurizing the bottles while the diastaticus actions continues.

I also find that the Belle Saisons can change quite a bit in the bottle (I know you keg) over the first few months. I find that they are best after about three months. So, I plan for this.

What temperature did you ferment this batch at? I have had some phenolics with Belle Saison, but off the top of my head I can't remember if that was when fermented hot or cold.

It's possible, but the things you're describing are chacteristic of this yeast strain.

What other off flavors are present besides generic phenolic/medicinal?
I dont think I am great at describing things well with a good vocabulary about these things- but I just tasted it again..

Medicinal.. sweet-cloying almost and not what I would expect from a really attenuated beer.. ripe fruit- raisins.

That might not help at all. Maybe I am just not very familiar with the strain but I've never had flavors like this in the past 3-4 batches I've used this yeast.

I'll give it time in the keg. Never know how it can turn out

Medicinal.. sweet-cloying almost and not what I would expect from a really attenuated beer.. ripe fruit- raisins.
Aside from the sweeteness, those are exactly the kind of flavors this yeast is selected to produce. Phenolic and fruity, with very high attenuation.

Sweeteness isn't a flavor produced by microbes. Too low IBU or too much crystal malt or chloride ? You should try adding 50-100ppm of sulfate.

I have never had Belle Saison finish above 1.002 over many batches; it's my go to Saison yeast. I have also used it fresh from the packet and out to generation 3, same performance. I am not sure it was 100 % done fermenting... see below.

Belle Saison is a diastaticus variety of beer yeast. It will eat some sugars that other strains of S. cerevisae will not eat. If you bottled it (or put it in a Mason jar) prior to it finish the ferment completely (and I mean absolutely finished), it will continue to ferment. My typical fermentation with this yeast runs 30 days, because I bottle and I don't want to chance over-pressurizing the bottles while the diastaticus actions continues.

I also find that the Belle Saisons can change quite a bit in the bottle (I know you keg) over the first few months. I find that they are best after about three months. So, I plan for this.

What temperature did you ferment this batch at? I have had some phenolics with Belle Saison, but off the top of my head I can't remember if that was when fermented hot or cold.
Hmm. I guess I've always kegged at about 3 weeks. Maybe it had more room to ferment.

This fermented at 70 deg

I will try this one again with a fresh packet

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong with this yeast. It may be that you just don't like it. I stopped using Belle Saison yeast because the phenolics and fusel alcohols would give me a hangover, even after having only two glasses. I switched to Fermentis BE-134, and that gives me the flavors that I like in a saison without the hangovers.

It may be that you just don't like it

well.. I cant say that I don't like it.. I don't like this current beer but Ive made 3 saisons now with this yeast and this is the only one so far.

I'm going to change some things around in the recipe and keep a closer look at ferm temp/etc. before I give up on the strain. Thanks for the advice though I will give the BE-134 a try

Too low IBU or too much crystal malt or chloride ? You should try adding 50-100ppm of sulfate.

That was a concern of mine with chloride. I will probably try this one again with RO water.. Ive been making good beer with my tap water with Camden tablets with no issues for a long time now. The water could be the issue.

And that is a good suggestion ill try increasing the sulfate a bit

Back