Belgian Tripel with Juniper berries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FattyLumpkins

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this?
I thought of it when I was talking to the guys at the LHBS after picking up my grain bill and hops. Not sure how it would work out.

For reference...

6 U.S. Gal.

12# Pilsner malt
2# Wheat malt
8 oz. CraMunich
4 oz. Acidulated
4 oz. Aromatic
1# Belgian Candi Syrup (clear)

1 oz. Challenger (60)
1 oz. Styrian Goldings (15)

I was ordinarily thinking to zest 3 each oranges and lemons and add to the last couple minutes of the boil. I just wondered if the juniper berries were a do-able thing, or should be avoided at all costs.
thanks in advance for any input!

A local brewery made an attempt to brew a Belgian Dark Strong Ale and they used juniper berries. The beer itself was not that good and was almost flat, like it needed a whole lot more carbonation. But the juniper flavour was there, underneath all the muddled flavours and it worked well within the " dark " grain bill.

I don't know if it would work in a Tripel, but I cannot see it be detrimental either, especialy if you like the aroma and taste of berries by themselves or in food/beverages.

The Juniper is a doable thing. I would add it at bottling. A tincture with gin would work well. Rack off a portion to use as a ratio to what you should mix to your vessel. I think in a Tripel you want just a touch in the background, but thats all up to you.

Back