Belgian tripel raising abv question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarong

Reaction score
I just wanted to verify that by adding sugar (candy sugar) into my fermentor I will raise the abv. I want to go from 1.073 og to 1.079. I was planning on boiling and cooling the sugar. It's only been less then one day in the fermentor. Also since I want a dry beer should I wait a few days and check my attenuation first? Thanks

I just wanted to verify that by adding sugar (candy sugar) into my fermentor I will raise the abv. I want to go from 1.073 og to 1.079. I was planning on boiling and cooling the sugar. It's only been less then one day in the fermentor. Also since I want a dry beer should I wait a few days and check my attenuation first? Thanks

I wouldn't pitch the sugar much past high krausen. If you are going to pitch the sugar, pitch it now.

It will raise the ABV, and dry out the beer. No one can say how much unless you provide info on how much beer and how much sugar.

But I do this all the time with Belgians, and it works fine.

It looks like ill need .8 lbs of sugar to raise the og about 6 points. It's about 5.2 gallon batch. Thanks for the replies I wanted to make sure I didn't make a dumb mistake.

i would not pitch it now. i would wait until the peak of fermentation is over. this is what i do with my belgians. i let the yeast get comfortable eating the more complex malt sugars first. simple sugars, like candi, are easy for yeast to attack. by the time active fermentation is complete you have hundreds of billions of live cells in there. they'll make short work of the candi.

for my belgian dark strong which is just finishing up now, i pitched 1.5 lbs of sugar after fermentation was essentially done. kicked things right back up, chewed through it in 24 hours and died back down again in 36.

Back