Belgian Soure Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Hi,
I brewed typical flander red ale, 60% continental pilsner, 30% white wheat, small quantity of cra Munich and aromatic. OG=1.055, used the WLP 655 belgian sour mix two vials in 5.5 gallons carboy. At first, it fermented in a tempretature controlled environment, 64F ramping up to 70isF, there after wrapped with a blanket in the closet. After a month or two the pellicle formed, took a sample, there was very nice Belgian character, but no sourness “tart aroma or flavor”. 6 months later pellicle come and go based on if I let oxygen to the carboy or not, but still no sour character at all. The beer is fermented out, G=1.009. Should I add Maltodextrin? And if yes how much of it in how much of water to 5 gallons?

Thanks

leave it alone for another 6 months or a year. My red ale is about 5 months old now and i don't plan on taking a sample of it till it hits 1 year. onlt time i check it is to make sure the air lock still has liquid in it.

im busy with my other beer stuff to even be bothered by that aging sour.

You might have been better using only a single vial.

Once fermentation starts, the souring bugs slow down. A single vial would have slowed fermentation down (maybe delayed it a day), and allowed the souring bugs a little time to build up their colonies before any alcohol is produced.

Either way it was going to take a long time, just might have been a month or 2 quicker with a single vial.

As for the souring bugs. They continue to build up their colonies for up to 18+ months, and continue to sour for up to 3+ years. IT is a long process. Don't worry if it is not sour yet. Give it time.

Latest posts

Back