Belgian recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalliewader

Reaction score
Dubbel 2

Batch size: 3.0 gal OG: 1.064 FG: 1.016 Bitterness (IBU): 17.7 Color (SRM): 13.2 ABV: 6.3%

[Grains] Two-row (US) 6.500lb Grain 88.1% Crystal 120L 0.500lb Grain 6.8% Candi Sugar, Clear (Belgian) 0.375lb Sugar 5.1%

[Hops] Saaz 1.00oz 3.5% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 17.7 IBU

[Yeast/Other] Generic ingredient 1.0 unit(s), Other Wlp530

Trying to put together a 3 gallon batch of belgain Dubbel. Is this too simple? It hit right in range for the style. I'm hoping the crystal will bring a little plum to it. What do you think?

Is this too simple?

On the contrary, I like simple recipes as it's usually the yeast that brings the most flavor to the party. Over complicated recipes in this (and similar) style(s) are often more trouble than they're worth. Most Trappist brewers agree, if you examine their recipes, or what we know of them; simplicity is often the order of the day.

I'd brew it as is.

Thanks, I am looking for the yeast to bring the flavor. My last Dubbel, while good I thought had too much going on. I wanted to simplify this time.

Looks pretty good. I like simple recipes too.

I like Special B in my recipes for the dried fruit flavor. You might consider trying some instead of the 120.

From the wiki on Special B

Special B refers to a type of dark, flavorful crystal malt traditionally malted in Belgium. In small amounts, it gives a unique flavor to the finished beer that is often compared to raisins or dried fruit.

Good idea on the Special B. I used the last of it in my previous Dubbel, but I'll give that a shot in the next batch to compare to the Crystal 120.

Back