Convert Extract Recipe to BIAB All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbm29456

Reaction score
Hello!

I somewhat recently brewed a Belgian Abbey Dubbel that my buddy and I really, really like. I'd like to convert the recipe from an extract version to an all-grain version. One problem is that the steeping grains gave me a total weight for a blend, so that's just going to be kinda guessing on the ratio, I guess?

Anyway, here's the recipe:

Grains:
• 13.75 oz. blend of Caramunich 60L and Blackprinz
• 7.5 lb. Pilsen DME
• 8 oz. Amber Candi Sugar
• 1 lb. Amber Candi Syrup (I added this myself to the recipe)

Hops:
• 1 oz. Goldings 4.5% @ 60 min. (9.03 IBU)
• 1 oz. Saaz 3.5% @ 15 min. (3.48 IBU)

Yeast:
• SafAle BE-134

When we brewed it as above, our OG was 1.071 and FG was 1.003, giving an ABV of 8.93%.

Couple of questions:
1. This was our second Belgian batch in a row with a very low FG (a Belgian Golden Strong Ale had an FG of 1.000). Both of those batches tasted wonderful. I'm confused, though. Did we just get super lucky with 2 beneficial infections in a row, or did it ferment to a lower FG due to the high amount of Candi Sugar/Syrup? (I.e., should we expect similar FG results in the future?)
2. How would you convert the above recipe to an all-grain for BIAB? My efficiency for my first BIAB was lower than the guesstimate of 70%, but I'm trying to get that to be better.
3. Given that the above was a partial volume boil, would you change anything on the hops when going to a full volume boil?

As with my other post, I'm not looking for exact answers, but more of a general direction as a starting point that we can dial in over a number of batches.

Thanks!

2. How would you convert the above recipe to an all-grain for BIAB? My efficiency for my first BIAB was lower than the guesstimate of 70%, but I'm trying to get that to be better.

If this was a kit or magazine/book recipe, check to see if there is an all grain version.

Otherwise ...

13.75 oz. blend of Caramunich 60L and Blackprinz
Blackprinz (link) is generally used for color adjustments.

7.5 lb. Pilsen DME
Lazy Chart for Converting ... assumes 75% efficiency. The chart suggests 12.5 lbs of malt for 7.5 lbs of DME @ 75% efficiency. To adjust for 70% efficiency: 12.5 / .75 * .7 = 13.4 lbs.

So maybe this as a starting point:
• 12 oz. Caramunich 60L
• ?? oz. Blackprinz
• 13.5 lb. Pilsen Malt
• 8 oz. Amber Candi Sugar
• 1 lb. Amber Candi Syrup

You can use the Brewers Friend recipe calculator to double check the conversion and to add-back color using Blackprinz malt.

3. Given that the above was a partial volume boil, would you change anything on the hops when going to a full volume boil?
Use Brewers Friend to adjust the 60 min addition to get the desired estimated IBUs. Personally, I would not adjust the 15 min addition on the first attempt at the recipe.

Back