Belgian Quad Temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
I brewed my first quad a couple weeks ago. OG was 1.110. I started fermentation at 66 degrees and held there until gravity was around 1.032. I took it out of my chamber to bring up to room temp, our house stays around 70-72 degrees. I checked two days ago and it was holding steady around 70 degrees. My plan was to bring it up to around 74, per various readings. I just checked and some how temp dropped to 68. I checked my gravity and its at 1.020 and I was anticipating a 1.018ish FG. My question is, should I still bring the temp up to 74 even though it dropped, or leave it at the current 68?

If you bring it up slowly I don't think that will hurt it any, if those last .002 points are really really important to you. The gravity might drop leaving it at 68, it might drop those last .002 points bringing the temp up to 74. It might also do nothing and just sit and look at you funny. If the gravity samples taste good, I wouldn't mess around with it and just leave it be. You may or may not even be able to detect a difference of .002 points.

To sum it up, raising it may do something, it may not. Not raising the temp may do something, and it may not. I would default to your tongue/nose. Does it taste/smell 'good' (like you expected your quad to turn out)?

That's kind of what I was thinking. But this place is always the best place to ask questions. As far as taste goes, its good as far as I can tell. Its a week and a half old and pushing 12% abv. Needless to say..... Its boozy. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye on it.

Don't sweat the 2 small gravity points, I'm surprised it got that low with the lower ferm temps. Must have been a nice healthy fermentation! Let it ride in the primary for another week or so then check SG again, it might drop more. Cheers!

I would definitely raise it, if you have the ability to heat it easily. Belgians should be as dry as possible, so to me it's worth a couple of days to see if anything happens.

It might be at FG, the yeast might have crapped out at colder temps and high alcohol (some Belgo yeasts don't like to restart). But you went to the expense and time to make a Quad, a couple of days won't hurt. It will take months to age anyhow, so it's not a beer that can be rushed.

OTOH if you don't have heated fermentation control, and it tastes good, it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world.

BTW, I adore Belgos, and especially quads. Save some to try every couple of months, with some saved at least 2 years, you'll be in awe at how they evolve.

If you are bottling, then I would say raise the temp to 80 to make sure it's done. You could add some oak cubes, since you're waiting it out anyway. If you're kegging and like how it tastes, then 2 points shouldn't be much of an issue.

2 weeks is a very short time for quad fermentation. It will only help to wait longer anyway, so don't sweat a few points of gravity yet.
What yeast? Some are more tolerant of lower temps, some need a serious ramp up to finish (3787, for example).

It was 3787. I wasn't worried about the gravity really. My concern with temp was whether or not the fluctuation would effect it. Either way, I bumped the temp. Its sitting at 74 now. I'm gonna hold there til its done.

It was 3787. I wasn't worried about the gravity really. My concern with temp was whether or not the fluctuation would effect it. Either way, I bumped the temp. Its sitting at 74 now. I'm gonna hold there til its done.

Definitely warm it up some and give it a lot more time. 3787 is famous for starting fast but then it slows down and takes a long time to finish.

It is a big quad so it will need some time anyway, so giving it another month to make sure it is done will only help it.

Back