Belgian Quad Fermentation Schedule Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbrewtan

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of a Wevleteren XII clone way back in early November and when I was ready to age it at 50f for 7 weeks, I found out my fermentation chamber was broken. So I let it ferment at room temperature.

Per the instructions in the link, I let it ramp up to 83F at the start, but had no way of cooling it down to 50f after fermentation started to dwindle off. I've let it sit in the secondary for 2+ months until I can get my chamber ready to hold it at 50f.

My question is: Is there still a benefit to holding it at 50F for 7 weeks even though I've let it sit at room temperature (68-70F) for 2+ months?

My intuition says yes, since this is a temperature where the yeast can convert one sugar into another to create different flavors. Is that right? Or is the yeast not active anymore?

Thanks in advanced.

Anyone? Would rather bottle it now if it's too late to let it sit at 55F.

At 50 degrees, almost every ale yeast will sink to the bottom and hibernate. There will still be some chemical reactions in the beer, but they won't be yeast-driven. As I understand it, dropping the temp that low is a way to manipulate which changes occur, i.e., the changes you want are slowed less than the ones you don't. Or so says How To Brew. Assuming you want to use your bucket to make more beer, I'd go ahead and bottle, where it will continue to age.

Back