Belgian Porter - Which yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm planning on brewing a porter and using a belgian style yeast to go with it. This is a new combo for me, but I've seen this style before and I figured why not give it a try. I'm hoping to hit a nice balance between chocolate and dark fruit that will be quite nice.

The problem is, I kinda bought the wrong yeast when I went to the LHBS earlier this week. I was originally going to get WLP530 Abbey Ale, which is supposed to go more towards the fruity profile I wanted. Well, of course, they didn't have it, so I had to make a snap call and pick something else. I couldn't remember which of the other two was similar, so I bought chose WLP550 Belgian Ale over the other, WLP500 Trappist Ale. Come to find out, the one I bought has the more phenolic and spicy character, and the one I passed over was actually the one I would've picked if I'd had my info straight.

My question is, will WLP550 Belgian work with a porter-style recipe, or should I go back and get the WLP500 Trappist with its nice fruity qualities? I've used the Trappist before in a dubbel, and it was pretty good, and I used the Belgian one time in an Ephemere clone, but I specifically wanted the spice to go with the apple flavor.

Anyway, this is getting wordy, but the point is, can spice and phenol work with dark malts, or is this a disaster waiting to happen?

Why not go ahead and make it with the yeast you have? Could be unexpectedly delicious.

Haha, yeah, that would've helped to post first thing.

7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract
0.50 lb Caravienne Malt
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Special B Malt
1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.20 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Willamette [7.80 %] (60 min)
2.00 lb Candi Sugar, Dark
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550)

I messed up my hops math, so I may need to go back anyway to buy an extra ounce.

When I first read this, I was thinking that the spiciness would be better for a porter than the fruitiness (roast + spice = awesome). Upon posting your recipe, I still think you'll be fine with WLP550. However, I notice you are getting most of the dark color from the candi sugar, so you'll have a lot less roastiness (is that a word?) than I was originally thinking. It'll still be good with the WLP550, but I see now where you were thinking of the WLP500. Don't make a trip back for the yeast, but if you have to go back for hops, buy the WLP 500; and pitch them both in lieu of a starter. I think blending the belgian yeasts would be delicious...

Yeah, I didn't want to go too far into roasted territory, since this is kind of an experiment. The thing is, I was considering doing a double brew day, and using the yeast I already have for my raspberry wit recipe. I think it would be a good match for that style, better than the current pairing. Any excuse to brew more beer!

I did end up buying another recipe with the other yeast, and doing a double brew day. Both beers are rockin and rollin now, and I feel pretty good about my choices. I went back through some old notes, as well as some OLD posts on here from when I first tried some of these yeasts, and the WLP550 is very close to a Belgian Wit yeast, almost interchangeable, which would not have been what I wanted for the porter. So, happy ending. Or, happy beginning, I suppose. :mug:

Back