Belgian IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibb

Reaction score
After drinking massive amounts of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel I've inspired to brew something similar in balance and awesomeness. I'm shooting for a Belgian style beer on the hoppy end where both its yeast and the unique hop can complement each other.

6 Gallon Batch

OG: 1.084 (70% efficiency)
FG: 1.012
ADF: 85%
ABV: 9.44%
IBU: 62.1
SRM: 7.9

13.5 lb - Pilsner
2 lb - Light Munich (6.9L)
4 oz - Aromatic
4 oz - White Wheat Malt (Not for sure on this)

2 lb - Turbinado sugar

90 minute boil

1 oz - Nelson Sauvin (12% aa) @ 90 --- 40.2 IBU
1 oz - Nelson Sauvin @ 20 --- 13.5 IBU
1.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin @ 5 --- 8.4 IBU
.75 oz - Nelson Sauvin @ Day 7

Yeast: Either WL550 (L'chouffe's strain), Duvel yeast (I have it on hand), or possibly Allagash's yeast (it was suggested to capture some of this and culture it up).

I have never used this hop before but I have heard it is pretty crazy. I'm not sure if its flavors will be too overwhelming with this hop schedule. With the yeasts I'm leaning more towards WL550 - I wouldn't mind using Duvel's yeast but I'm just not sure how its super fruity notes would meld with the hop flavors.

Anyone who has any experience brewing a Belgian IPA or has used this hop please chime in!

Looks good to me, should be an interesting batch. The 4 oz of wheat won't make a big difference either way. I used Nelson Sauvin in a brown ale a couple years back, tasty sort of grapey as I'd heard, but more pine/citrus to my taste buds. I think any of those yeasts will work well, but if you have been digging the Houblon, why not go that direction? Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Ah thanks for the link. Well now my plan is to make a big ol' starter and brew this one up - then the week after take the second half the the starter and brew up an actual clone of Houblon Chouffe. I have so many different/odd hops laying around that I need to use up...like summit. Though, I do like the idea of using a hop named after a famous Belgian brewer in a Belgian style beer (even though the hops are from NZ).

Back