belgian fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowlife

Reaction score
I made my first belgian yesterday. It was a lot of fun. It was my first time with a big starter as well (3 quart) for 5.5 gallon batch. I am amazed at the fermentation so far. It took off very strongly within a couple hours. It was so active it almost looked like the wort was boiling (because of the huge release of co2). The wort temp was 78 degrees according to my laser. Today I go downstairs and see an average release of co2. I am just surprised it never blew out. I had a blow off tube hooked up but krausen never rose to the top of my 6.5 gallon carboy. My whole point is that Belgians are fun to make and I hope even more fun to drink!

I've got one in the bucket right now... next Belgain Wit will be in a glass carboy so I can see all the action....

I couldnt quit smelling the dang bottle my blow off tube was going in (Even though it burned)

do you smell the sulfer coming out of the airlock?

Is that common for Belgains?

I'm asking because I just got done with a Belgian tripel and when I moved from primary to 2ndary, it kinda had a sulfur smell?

I read somewhere that could be caused it if sits on the primary yeast too long, but I only kept in primary a week?

Is that common for Belgains?

I'm asking because I just got done with a Belgian tripel and when I moved from primary to 2ndary, it kinda had a sulfur smell?

I read somewhere that could be caused it if sits on the primary yeast too long, but I only kept in primary a week?

Your tripel was done in a week? What was your SG when you transferred? To the senondary. I specifically got into homebrewing to make Belgian Tripels, so I'm curious about your yeast and fermentation temperatures.

My current tripel has been in the primary for a week, I pitched a 2L starter and an additional Smack pack as my OG was higher than expected. I kept the primary in the basement ambient temperature 62* the bucket temperature reached 68* and as it tapered off after four days I moved the bucked upstairs where the ambient temperature is 68*, the bucket is at 70* now and I'm in the process of warming it up to 74* for the next week or so. I don't plan to take a SG reading until the third week and then depending on SG/FG reading will transfer to the secondary for a month or two.

My tripels / Belgian strongs normally hit FG within a week. My Delirium Tremens clone, now warm conditioning, went from 1.073 to 1.006 in 5 days.

My tripels / Belgian strongs normally hit FG within a week. My Delirium Tremens clone, now warm conditioning, went from 1.073 to 1.006 in 5 days.

Niiice. The tripple I made also fermented quick... unfortunately the blowoff hose I was using was too small in diameter. The end result made a bit of a mess. However, it has been quite a hit with my Belgian loving friends. :cross:

Edit: Although I still left it in the primary for a total of 3.5 weeks to clean up.

Your tripel was done in a week? What was your SG when you transferred? To the senondary. I specifically got into homebrewing to make Belgian Tripels, so I'm curious about your yeast and fermentation temperatures.

My current tripel has been in the primary for a week, I pitched a 2L starter and an additional Smack pack as my OG was higher than expected. I kept the primary in the basement ambient temperature 62* the bucket temperature reached 68* and as it tapered off after four days I moved the bucked upstairs where the ambient temperature is 68*, the bucket is at 70* now and I'm in the process of warming it up to 74* for the next week or so. I don't plan to take a SG reading until the third week and then depending on SG/FG reading will transfer to the secondary for a month or two.

Hey Woolly,

Definately, dont use me as an example. You know more thatn I do, I'm sure. Mine probalby could have stayed in primary a bit longer. My orginal gravity was around 1.07, but I think the bucket was water-topped. It should have been a bit higher. I've never gotten the hang of getting a good reading. I had a VERY voilent fermenation...pitched two smack packs (Trappist). Day 2 blew the top off of my bucket and then I rigged a blowoff (shoulda done that from the get go......im learning). Temp was around 65.

Things had cooled way down by day 5. Day 8 I transferred to 2ndary. My reading was just under 1.02. I DID have a tiny bit of airlock activity in 2ndary for a day or so, but not much. Not much sediment in 2ndary after three weeks either. 2ndary was about the same temp...65.

Questions:

Why do you move to a higher temp?

So the sulphur smell is not a bad thing? The whole reason that I had racked after 8 days was because of that smell. I've read a couple of places that can be caused by yeast cannibalization and you should get off the yeast.

Sulfur, the taste and smell of rotten eggs in your homebrew beer.

Everything Ive heard here though, say's its just fine; so I guess I wont worry about that.

I have a Belgian Strong Pale Ale fermenting at 66. It's been burping for 8 days now pretty constant. Needed a blow off BIG time. Not a lot of sulfur smell though.

I think I was creating another beer with so much krausin (sp?) in the blow off pot.

Questions:

Why do you move to a higher temp?

+1 never heard of that - I know during fermentation you let it increase but once finished I assume you cool it.

Sulfer smell is no a bad thing unless you don't like it.

I took a gravity reading yesterday. In two days I got about 78 percent attenuation! It went from 1.063 to 1.013 in about 48 hours!

Its been two weeks. I tasted it for the heck of it (Hydro sample) Banana City! Still same gravity 1.013. Still tons of suspended yeast though (you can see it if you shake it) Im eager to see how this tastes after a couple months.

Latest posts

Back