Belgian Bastogne Ale Yeast (WLP510)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
Has anyone made anything weird with this yeast? By weird I mean - something besides dubbel, tripel, strong golden ale, that kinda thing?

If so, what was it and how did it turn out?

:mug:

I made an APA for a friend's birthday, which was excellent, and a cream ale, which is now a house beer, and which turned my wife into a beer drinker. I love this yeast.

Was the yeast pretty clean & neutral in both of those? That's kind of what I'm afraid of...

Clean? Hardly. This isn't Pacman we're talking about here. It was fruity and a little tart. Used a tiny bit of Warrior for bittering on the cream ale, and Cascade for flavoring; both of them turned out to blend almost perfectly with the belgian yeast.

I did notice, though, that both of these beers benefited greatly from bottle conditioning; they were good coming out of the fermenter, but only great after a month or so in bottles.

I don't see why it wouldn't. You'd just want to take into account the tart fruit flavor when choosing hops.

I've got some NZ Motueka planned for it... I'm really shooting for more of a Biere de Mars, but I will admit that it's a honestly bit of a mutt because I'm trying to use up ingredients.

I guess Motueka used to be sold as "Belgian Saaz" and then "B Saaz", primarily to Belgian brewers and breweries. Supposed to have some citrus/pepper/tropical fruit qualities to them. I think mine are 8% AA.

I ended up just doing a SMaSH with Pilsner & Motueka and fermented it with the Bastogne strain. Kegged it last night after a two week or so primary - tasted really nice!

I will save my full judgement until it's carbed but so far I liked what I tasted/smelled from this particular yeast. :)

Burgs said:
Cool, thanks.

I'm wondering how well it would work in Biere de Garde...

I wouldn't use it for bdg - use a faux lager yeast like European Ale

Reviving an old thread here..

Anyone use this yeast a bunch and have any insight on how clean it actually is? Like can you overpitch and ferment it cold and get something with very low phenolics/spice?

Anymore insight from people that have used it a bunch would be awesome. I'd like the tart/fruit aspect but not looking for clove or spice ideally.

Reviving an old thread here..

Anyone use this yeast a bunch and have any insight on how clean it actually is? Like can you overpitch and ferment it cold and get something with very low phenolics/spice?

Anymore insight from people that have used it a bunch would be awesome. I'd like the tart/fruit aspect but not looking for clove or spice ideally.

I've only used it once, and I have only sampled the beer pre-bottling (it's almost done conditioning). I fermented around 68-70. It is more subtle than many other strains, but it definitely had Belgian character. It didn't seem very tart at all, but I got some really nice, soft pear and citrus fruity esters. A little bit of spice as well, but less than a lot of other Belgian strains.

Back