Beginning to lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyDog620

Reaction score
So I have five extract batches under my belt (1 from a kit, 2 from recipes, and 2 from scratch) and I think I have the extract brewing process under my belt and have made some winners and I want to try something new. I want to try to make some lager. I got into the hobby to make good beer for me and my friends to drink and it seems like there's nine bazillion American craft ales available but very few high quality lagers that I can find, so I think it'd be a good challenge for myself to make a good lager. Also, since it seems it takes forever to lager a beer, I can make an extract batch and I'll be able to see how it turns out while I am figuring out all grain brewing...

As far as equipment goes, the only difference between making an ale and a lager is that I'll need a freezer with a thermostat to keep it at lagering temperatures, right?

Can I bottle it as I would bottle an ale?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a good book on lagering?

Thanks a ton in advance!

New Brewing Lager Beer by Noonan is the one great book on lagering, but it is a bit heavy on the decocation brewing.
You need to use the correct yeast ( as always for the style ) you are brewing.
Read up on it for a while before attempting to brew one, as you are stepping into a whole new world of brewing. One that is usually less forgiving than ale brewing.

You really should be using a temperature controlled fermentation chamber or vessel already. It is really the only way to make consistent quality beer, ale or lager. Well, if you have a cave or some other naturally temperature controlled chamber that would work as well.

Thanks, boo boo. I'll certainly check that book out (hopefully my library has it).

Dantodd, thus far I've been lucky that I have space in my house that stays consistently at 60-65 degrees but nowhere that's going to be at lagering temperatures.

I am interested in this as well. The last batch I fermented in my parents basement. We store wine there and it stays right around 55 degrees. The beer that fermented there took two weeks to ferment and was a Hennipen clone. So far it tastes spot on to the original beer with is a Belgian Sasson.

I guess my question is, is this temp fermenting actually close enough for lager fermentation? In the winter it may be a few degrees cooler or I could even place the fermenter in the stair well that should also be cooler?

Any good web sources other than HBT on lagering?

SaltyDog, Did you get your name from the old restaurant/Bar in Huntington by any chance??

There is not much to lagering. Use lager yeast. Mind your pitch rate (you should make a big starter! see www.mrmalty.com). Keep it at lager temps, do a 65 F diacetyl rest after fermentation is over, then drop to 33 and leave it there for a month. If you can. Yes, it's hard. Lagers should be crisp, so I like to mash low to get a very fermentable wort.

Latest posts

Back