Beginner's Temp Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt_McGirt

"We got food stamps. Glad to get the food stamps."
Reaction score
I got ahold of a mini-fridge I'm hoping to convert to a ferm. chamber, but I still don't have a temp. controller and I missed out on the recent Inkbird promo. Is it worth spending $50-$55 for the 308 or 310, or will the STC-1000 work just fine with its limited features?

The fridge will live in my basement, which is generally 64-70F, but it's it has hot and cool spots and varies depending on whether the furnace is running.
Thanks.

The STC-1000 will get the job done for you. You just need to be handy enough to hook it up. I would highly recommend going with a dual stage unit. Even if you don't plan to add heat now, it will have the capability in the future. One of the concessions of this is that you will end up working in Celsius.

This guy's work is a great upgrade if you are ok with the money. He's a member on here and many people seem happy with his products.

If you want to make the one time investment on the ultimate, the BrewPi Spark seems to be the state of the art right now. Web access, programmable temperature schedules are nice to have features. There is also a thread on how to make one yourself, but even as a pretty handy guy with electronics and computers, the technical know how is above my head.

I have a stc-100 that I wired up myself with a tutorial on here. It was really pretty easy and only required one redo to get it to work right. I printed and laminated a C to F conversion chart and posted by my keezer. It was rewarding and fun to do.

Hmm. Tough call. At least I think I have the info I need, now. Thanks everyone.

Taped a C - F chart on my mini fridge, no big deal using an STC-1000.

Taped a C - F chart on my mini fridge, no big deal using an STC-1000.

I live in a part of the world that isn't imperial (ex, everywhere that is not the US or UK), so I am familiar with C as my normal unit of temperature measure. I use an STC-1000, so the C made sense to me.

That said I am still constantly converting between C and F because every reference text or recipe is written in F. So annoying.

I wound up going ahead and ordering the 308. Having the dual-stage seemed worth it, as well as not having to build a box, etc.
:mug:

I’m just finishing my chamber build using a mini-fridge. I used one that had a little freezer compartment.

I built a wooden frame that supports two removable shelves and an overhead beam inside a 2ft x 2ft cupboard. 1” foam was used to insulate the chamber and a drainpipe installed in the floor.

I gutted the fridge being careful not to damage any of the tubing and removed everything as one unit. The freezer compartment is what cooled the fridge so I cut a hole in the wall and inserted the cooling element into an Igloo ice chest filled with 50% glycol & 50% water. A fountain pump circulates the cold or hot liquid and everything’s controlled by an Inkbird temp controller.

I can get the liquid below 10 deg F

my chamber 002.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for not replying sooner. Living in Sac Valley it rarely gets below 50 deg for any length of time but if I need to heat my chamber I'll use a waterbed heater.

Side note: I replaced the small igloo cooler with a larger one so I can completely submerge the cooling unit. The real test will come this summer

Back