Beginners Mash Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
I have a couple questions on mashing i hope this is the right thread.

1. Do all grains have to be cracked or just if you buy whole grains? Because i kno you dont have to crack crystal malt.

2.Should i use a bag to hold em in and when do i take out the bag, after they steep for 60 minutes?

3. Should i strain out all the solids when im pouring into primary or is that only taste-specific or recipe-specific?

Thanks guys for your help, any tips on mashing would be appreciated also.

1. All grain should be cracked (crushed) to expose the inside goodness. Sure you crack crystal malt.

2.Yes. Steep for the required time in water that's not too hot, ie; over 168f. Over this temps could leech tannins from the husk depending on the ph of your steep.

3. Yes, strain out all solids. Again this could lead to astringency in your final beer.

Mash at a constant temp of between 149f to 158f for at least 60 minutes and make sure you stir your grist well at dough in to avoid clumps of dry grain. Try not to whip it up but stir well.
This site http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/ really helped me turn AG. Also Denny Conns brewing site is a great one on batch sparging.
Good luck

bloomerjt07 said:
1. Do all grains have to be cracked or just if you buy whole grains? Because i kno you dont have to crack crystal malt.
All grains have to be crushed even if you are just steeping them. This includes crystal malts.

bloomerjt07 said:
2.Should i use a bag to hold em in and when do i take out the bag, after they steep for 60 minutes?
Some people use a grain bag to mash their grains. Once the mash is complete the grains must be sparged with hot water (about 170 degrees) to extract the sugars.

bloomerjt07 said:
3. Should i strain out all the solids when im pouring into primary or is that only taste-specific or recipe-specific?

Once you are done sparging there should be very few or no solids from the grains in your brew put. Boiling grains in your wort will give your beer an astringent flavor.
I would suggest doing more research before you attempt all grain. I always suggest Charlie Papazian's The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing. It will learn all about brewing including the jump to all grain.
Good luck:mug:

Back