Beginners Graff Quandry...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlondIrishGuy

Reaction score
My wonderful wife has been helping me brew and bottle my first two batches, a Nut Brown Ale [In the bottles] and a Blonde Ale [In the primary]. She is mainly a wine, vodka and whisky drinker, but has tried the Wood Chuck Amber and really likes it, so I thought we would make something for her on this next batch. She is not very fond of beer.

I have:

.5 lbs of Crystal 60L
1 oz of torrified wheat
1 lb of LME
Nottingham dry yeast

I am not going to use hops. The Blonde Ale has only been in the primary 1 week. I have a 5 gallon carboy sitting unused.

Here is my quandry:

1. Should I transfer the Blonde Ale to the carboy and then make the Graff in the primary?

2. Should I transfer the Blonde Ale to the carboy and then just pour 4 gallons of apple juice straight on top of the leftover beer and yeast cake in the primanry?

3. Should I leave the Blonde Ale in the primary and use the above ingredients with 3 gallons of apple juice and put everything in the carboy?

I'm not really worried about any of the above options. I think they will all work pretty well. I'm just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

1) You could, but why not just make the graff in the carboy?

2) I wouldn't want to do this. Graff has a relatively delicate flavor and the trub, particularly the residual hops, could have funky effects.

3) Seems like the easiest solution to me, at least.

I would warn her, though, not to expect something as sweet as woodchuck. I'm not sure exactly of their process, but something fully fermented isn't going to be that sweet. My guess would be that they pasteurize their cider and then blend it with unfermented cider/wort to keep the sugars high.

I would warn her, though, not to expect something as sweet as woodchuck. I'm not sure exactly of their process, but something fully fermented isn't going to be that sweet. My guess would be that they pasteurize their cider and then blend it with unfermented cider/wort to keep the sugars high.

Well... That is what I was thinking as well. That would certainly be the easiest thing to do. Regarding the taste, her favorite wine is Chardonnay so if it turns out fairly dry and tart, then that may be a plus for her.

Thanks for the confirmation.

What do you think about adding some Ginger as flavoring. She really likes Ginger and ginger ale. It was her idea.

If we add Ginger when should we add it and how much would be a good amount? I'm thinking about adding it to the grain bag and just steep it along with the grains.

Well... That is what I was thinking as well. That would certainly be the easiest thing to do. Regarding the taste, her favorite wine is Chardonnay so if it turns out fairly dry and tart, then that may be a plus for her.

Thanks for the confirmation.

What do you think about adding some Ginger as flavoring. She really likes Ginger and ginger ale. It was her idea.

If we add Ginger when should we add it and how much would be a good amount? I'm thinking about adding it to the grain bag and just steep it along with the grains.

My generic advice with spices is to start subtle and to ramp your way up. Too much spice is a quick way to make a beer utterly undrinkable. 1/4 ounce of fresh grated? Just a guess based on other recipes I've seen.

In any case, I'd add it to the boil ten minutes or so before flame out. If it's in there too long, you'll burn off all the aromatics.

Ok so here's the plan:

.5 lbs of Crystal 60L
1 oz of torrified wheat
1 lb of LME
3 gallons of apple juice
1 tablespoon of fresh ground Ginger
Nottingham dry yeast

Steep the grains for about 30 minutes.
Add the LME and bring to a boil
Place Ginger in an infuser and add for the final 10 minutes.
Pour into the carboy over the 3 gallons of cold juice
Check temp and pitch yeast.
Let ferment for 3 weeks
Prime with about 4 oz of priming sugar and bottle.
Maybe taste one after about 2 weeks

How does that plan sound?

Ok so here's the plan:

.5 lbs of Crystal 60L
1 oz of torrified wheat
1 lb of LME
3 gallons of apple juice
1 tablespoon of fresh ground Ginger
Nottingham dry yeast

Steep the grains for about 30 minutes.
Add the LME and bring to a boil
Place Ginger in an infuser and add for the final 10 minutes.
Pour into the carboy over the 3 gallons of cold juice
Check temp and pitch yeast.
Let ferment for 3 weeks
Prime with about 4 oz of priming sugar and bottle.
Maybe taste one after about 2 weeks

How does that plan sound?

Good, except I don't think you'll get much from steeping torrified wheat. I've not used it terribly often, but I'm relatively certain that it needs to be mashed.

Good, except I don't think you'll get much from steeping torrified wheat. I've not used it terribly often, but I'm relatively certain that it needs to be mashed.

I'm too much of a beginner to know either way. The only reason that it is in there is because it is in the original recipe I found on this forum.

Happened upon the recipe while surfing around. I misread your post before...thought you had a pound of the torrified wheat. The recipe designer suggests an ounce of it for the protein content, which makes sense. That will provide better head retention. Recipe looks good.

Yep... I think you are right about the head retention.

Does anyone else have any suggestions about our ideas for this brew variation?

Back