Beginner term questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twitcher

Reaction score
So I'm very new to brewing and I was just curious if anyone could explain some of these terms and if they apply to extract brewing.

what is dry hopping?

what is a cold crash?

and are there any other common ones I should know about?

Dry Hopping is adding hops to a fermenter at some point after fermentation is complete. It is done to impart a fresh hop aroma.

Cold crashing is placing a fermenter in a cold space after fermentation is complete to force the yeast to go dormant and fall out of suspension, pulling some proteins and such with it and therefore help clear the beer.

And this is an excellent free source as well. How To Brew. Though be aware that the online version is outdated. The author has changed his view on some things, including what he wrote about autolysis, and rushing beer off the yeast. But there is plenty of great beginner info on there, you just have to separate info from opinion, and back up your reading with some of the more recent discussions on here.

:mug:

And this is an excellent free source as well. How To Brew. Though be aware that the online version is outdated. The author has changed his view on some things, including what he wrote about autolysis, and rushing beer off the yeast. But there is plenty of great beginner info on there, you just have to separate info from opinion, and back up your reading with some of the more recent discussions on here.

:mug:

Exact same advice that someone on the forum (probably Revvy or Yooper) gave to me.
I would spend the $20 and get the 2nd edition and keep it as your reference.

I have read through the book x2 at this point and plan on heading back once again to learn a little more about starch conversion and associated materials.

The glossary is very helpful as it gives you the meanings of commonly used forum terms that almost everyone uses in the threads. IMHO (in my honest opinion) they were harder to figure out than the beer brewing terms.

Thanks for starting this post. I was about to create one similar to this as a new home brewer.

There are many terms used frequently on this forum that aren't part of any sticky, like "Cold Crash", "Dry Hop" and "Hop Utilization" to name a few. You can find the answers after a search and reading a few threads, but I found it took me over 10 minutes just to find out what "cold crashing" was.

I think many new members here would appreciate a sticky glossary with common brewing and forum terms if one of the senior members would be willing to put one together. :)

Thanks for starting this post. I was about to create one similar to this as a new home brewer.

There are many terms used frequently on this forum that aren't part of any sticky, like "Cold Crash", "Dry Hop" and "Hop Utilization" to name a few. You can find the answers after a search and reading a few threads, but I found it took me over 10 minutes just to find out what "cold crashing" was.

I think many new members here would appreciate a sticky glossary with common brewing and forum terms if one of the senior members would be willing to put one together. :)

Had you ever considered clicking on the button labeld "Wiki?" You'll see both the glossary and the abbreviations links that I posted above are in there.

Sure, that would be fine place to use, but the current one is not complete.

"Cold Crash" is missing from it for one. "Partial Boil" and "Full Boil" too. I'm sure I'll find more as I start referring to it.

I will someday, but for now my brew knowledge is not worthy of writing definitions.

I just brewed my 2nd beer, a Imperial IPA I plan on dry hopping, this weekend. I better learn more about cold crashing as it sounds helpful. Maybe I'd add to the Wiki after ;)

Back