Beginner questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelveone

Reaction score
Hey!!

I joined this site because I've been told that its the absolute best place to soak up some homebrewing knowledge. I really want to start up and I've been reading all sorts of information the last few months. I am pretty sure I want to go with all grain brewing. I have just been trying to figure out if I should buy a starter kit from midwest supplies or northern brewer or just go to a local store and get everything separately. My other question involves how to read a recipe. I am unsure of a couple of the terms used in this picture. If anyone could please explain the notes, fermentables and hops sections, I just dont understand the timing parts. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

-Tony

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 12.23.32 PM.png

Mash for 75 minutes is your mash time. How long you soak your grains for.

The hops that are listed as 20 minute addition are actually put in the kettle when you start to run off your wort from the mash. It is a technique called FWH (first wort hopping) and it is debatable whether or not it makes any difference as opposed to just adding at 60 minutes.

(On a side note bittering with citra is a waste of citra. Magnum / warrior would be better cheaper choices in my opinion.)

The 5 minute addition is what he is calling whirlpool hops. The idea is you finish your boil and chill to 180 degrees. Then add your whirlpool hops let steep for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. The cool wort drives off less of the oil that gives aroma. This is a worthwhile technique in my opinion.

Mash for 75 minutes is your mash time. How long you soak your grains for.

The hops that are listed as 20 minute addition are actually put in the kettle when you start to run off your wort from the mash. It is a technique called FWH (first wort hopping) and it is debatable whether or not it makes any difference as opposed to just adding at 60 minutes.

(On a side note bittering with citra is a waste of citra. Magnum / warrior would be better cheaper choices in my opinion.)

The 5 minute addition is what he is calling whirlpool hops. The idea is you finish your boil and chill to 180 degrees. Then add your whirlpool hops let steep for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. The cool wort drives off less of the oil that gives aroma. This is a worthwhile technique in my opinion.

Thank you very much for the response. You cleared up all my questions! The only other thing I am wondering is if I could cut this recipe down to 3 gallons and just use half of everything listed.

i think the equipment starter kits is a good investment as they contain pretty much everything you need to get started without extra unneeded parts. I use nearly all of my original equipment yet, 10 years after I bought it. (except for the hydrometer I broke and had to replace and the racking kit that I replaced with an autosiphon)

Recipes can be scaled up or down using the same ratio of ingredients. I do a lot of 2 1/2 gallon batches and scale them from 5 gallon recipes.

One thing that isn't made clear is the strike temperature of your mash. If you get your mash water to 152F and then add 14.25lb of grains that are at say 75F the temperature of your mash will drop below the desired 152. If you've got a program/app that you're using to catalogue your brews hopefully there'll be a strike temp calculator in there. Make use of that to understand what temperature you'll want your water before you add your grains to get to your 152F.

Thank you very much for the response. You cleared up all my questions! The only other thing I am wondering is if I could cut this recipe down to 3 gallons and just use half of everything listed.

In my experience it is not as simple as that. It is close but hop additions take more figuring... Im pretty sure some of the free recipe calculators out there have a scaling feature.

I miss read the post and was critiquing the recipe.

See post below this one for gear. But note, get an adjustable (or digital) thermometer. I use calibrated dial thermometers and verify with an ice bath at the beginning of the day...

hop additions are easy once you know the boil time. Most are 60, some are 90. some are different.

The boil starts when your wort hits 212 degrees.

so if your recipe states:
1 oz 60 min
2 oz 30 mini
1 oz 5 min
1 oz flameout

then if your boil starts at 3:00, then your first addition of 1 oz will be at 60 min, the next 2 oz at 3:30, the next 1 oz at 3:55 and the last 1 oz when you pull it from heat..

then dry hopping. if you choose to dry hop (easy to do) then it will be like 14 days before bottling, 5 days before bottling, etc.

as a new brewer play attention to temperature, keep that boil going, don't pitch yeast until it's at the fermenting temperature, and keep it there. keep the first few recipes easy.

good luck and happy brewing.

Last edited:
I began brewing in December 2015. I have....16 batches under my belt. Most are all grain. So I have a fairly good read on what it's like to be a new brewer.

1. Equipment Kits. I think it can be the most cost-effective way to begin accumulating equipment. Of course, much depends on resources as to what you can and should get, so without a read on that it's hard to say what might work well for you. I bought the Deluxe starter kit from Northern Brewer, added the Mad Brewer test kit, bought the spoon and sieve kit, and there I went. The kit includes an extract kit which means....you can brew without the additional concerns of building a recipe.

I've since bought two more Big Mouth Bubblers. One's empty. I need to get brewing this weekend. :)

2. I see a lot of new brewers here attempting complicated recipes from the get-go. Like yours, for instance. IMO, it's better to do a simple recipe first. There's a lot to keep track of when you're new, and simple is better for that. You'll learn the process of preparing, boiling, chilling, pitching, and so on without the added complexity of a complex recipe. Learn the process with a simple recipe.

3. If you haven't, I'd strongly advise you to find someone with whom you can go through a brew day. Is there anyone local who is willing to have you watch them brew? Or can walk you through it the first time? I did this w/ a friend and it was invaluable to me. I saw him go through the steps so when I read more about it, it made much, much more sense to me.

4. Things go on sale. All....the....time. Northern Brewer has sale right now where if you buy $200 worth of stuff, you can get a megapot 1.2 for $100 off. So a $229 megapot w/ ball valve and thermometer is $129. Not a bad deal--the kit stuff I noted above will add up to about $200, then you get a really good pot for almost half off.

There are lots of specials and sales. If you know what you want and can be patient, you can save a goodly amount of money. Northern Brewer has them all the time. MoreBeer has a deal of the day (and free shipping over $59 of stuff). Others have similar things. Become familiar w/ the vendors here on HBT and you'll see that kind of thing.

5. If you're thinking of going all-grain, consider a Brew in the Bag setup. I would have done that except my 8-gallon Megapot 1.2, good for 5-gallon batches of beer, isn't optimal for BIAB. It has that thermometer poking into the kettle, good for monitoring temps, not so good for a bag. I needed a 10-gallon kettle for that, but lucked into a mash tun and other stuff so i went in that direction. If you think you're going to do all-grain, make sure you don't underbuy your kettle.

6. And that leads me to what has been the hardest--not underbuying equipment. If I could do it all over again....but I digress. If you can afford it, buy quality, and consider where you might want to be in six months, a year, and so on.

7. Mind your sanitation. Get some Star-San and use that. It's the one thing the kits don't have in them, so far as I know.

8. Enjoy. I love this--complicated as you want it to be, lots of room for experimentation, and by my 6th batch (or was it 7th? Can't remember) I'd produced beer that tasted better than anything I could get at my local watering hole. When you go to a bar and everything you drink leads you to conclude "I wish they were selling my homebrew," well, you'll know why we do this.

Good luck!

All good advice but one more point to think about. What's your heat source? Propane or electric? If propane I highly recommend the Blichmann burner. It's the one thing I've bought that's greatly improved my brew days.

I agree that you should do an all extract (AE) or extract with steeping grains (E/SG) first. A simpler recipe will allow you to concentrate on developing a brewing process first. All grain (AG) is a bit more complicated for a first timer. Mash temps, mash times, grain crush, water to grain ratios, etc. will get thick real quick. It's usually best to do as mentioned earlier to develop your process first. And all the online sites have beginner brewing kits with various levels of equipment, depending on what you already have. And whether all you can afford to do is bottle right now, or if you can afford the brewing kit with the kegging kit? Regardless, here's some links to peruse;
http://www.homebrewsupply.com/brewing-equipment/homebrew-kits.html
https://www.morebeer.com/category/home-brewing-starter-kits.html
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-equipment?cat=36-This one has the kit with kettle on sale for $99 with recipe kit, etc!
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits-Same deal here as above, since they're co-owned!
These should get you started, but the all-in-one deals for 99 bucks at Midwest & Northern Brewer are fabulous bargains! Fermenting stuff, capper, kettle, recipe kit, everything!
These two are about the best value right now, if you don't wait too long! And I'm still using the 5 gallon, 20QT stainless steel kettle I started with doing kit-n-kilo beers! I do everything up to partial mash, partial boil brew in a bag (PM/PB BIAB) these days in that same kettle! A 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag & a floating thermometer are all you need to start partial mash (P{M) or all grain (AG) later on. I really think the all-in-one kits from Midwest & Northern Brewer are your absolute best starter value for the buck!

Latest posts

Back