Beginner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldner

Reaction score
Hi Guy's... I made a Irish Stout a few weeks back it's time to keg it and Carbonate it... My question is at what psi and how long do you carbonate it for I use C02... I usually carbonate my lagers at 40 psi for 30 hrs... Thanks

What does 1.5 to 2.2 volumes of CO2 mean how much CO2 is that...?
It’s the measure of how carbonated the beer is. Imperial stouts are usually at 1.8-2.2 (not mandatory by any means) Pilsners are around 2.6-2.8.

Each persons kegerator is unique with height from tap, length of line, internal diameter of lines used, so you would need to do the math or use a online calculator To determine what psi you should set your regulator at to his a specific volume of co2 in your beer

dont let what dgallo said confuse you. carbonation is simply and only temperature and pressure. the rest of the stuff hes talking about is for draft systems, not carbonating your beer.

a volume is simply that, a volume. if you have a 5 gallon keg full of beer, then 2.5 vols co2 means you have the equivalent of 12.5 "gallons" of co2 in it. (5 x 2.5) its basically a measurement of how much co2 is dissolved in the beer.

the carbonation charts will ususally give you an idea of how many volumes are typical or appropriate for a style of beer. if you're bottling, then follow the advice of an online calculator to tell you how much sugar to prime with for your batch. if you're kegging, then you use the chart to match your keg's serving temperature to the volumes of co2 you want, and that will tell you what psi to set your regulator at.

dont let what dgallo said confuse you. carbonation is simply and only temperature and pressure.
Correct me if I’m incorrect but if his draft system isn’t set to equilibrium for his configuration, than he can have issues with beers decreasing or increasing in carbonation.

Correct me if I’m incorrect but if his draft system isn’t set to equilibrium for his configuration, than he can have issues with beers decreasing or increasing in carbonation.
no, not technically. i see where you're going but those issues are not actually an increase or decrease in carbonation, per se. carbonation is specific term is just dissolved co2 levels. and that is simply a function of pressure and temperature. gas law.

balance or lack thereof in a draft system doesnt affect how much co2 is in the beer. (i.e. it neither adds or subtracts co2) but what it does affect is how well your co2 stays in solution once the beer leaves the line/tap and hits the glass.

its a technical point, which is why i was telling OP to not get confused.

but now looking back, i realize he was also asking how long? as in maybe looking for "burst carb" type instructions.

For a basic burst carb for my beers I go 30psi for 36 hrs then set to 12 psi and 36 hrs later it's good to go. With a stout you probably wont want it that carbed up. You may be better off set it and forget it if you want something lower.

Yes i have a 12 feet line with an inter tap..and yah I have a chart but I don't know how it works...

Attachments

• IMG-20200223-WA0046.jpg
    IMG-20200223-WA0046.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 24
Yes i have a 12 feet line with an inter tap..and yah I have a chart but I don't know how it works...
You need to figure out what volume of co2 you want to carb the beer to. Most shoot for the middle of the green range. Depends on the style.

You figure what temp your beer will be carbing at(fridge temp usually). Then go across the line of that temp until you find the volume of co2 you want. Then slide to the top of the chart to see what psi to set your regulator to so you reach that volume of co2 per the temp specified.

I never mess with the regulator. I just hook up the keg and let it sit for a couple of weeks. It will carbonate just fine easy peasy.

i wouldn't worry about what other people think....i carb all my beers at 8psi for a week or so....most people like 12psi, but i find it makes me bloated.... :mug:

edit: could always get a scale, and put the keg on it, and do it by weight.....

i wouldn't worry about what other people think....i carb all my beers at 8psi for a week or so....most people like 12psi, but i find it makes me bloated.... :mug:

Just FWIW, 8 PSI and 12 PSI are not carbonation levels, they're pressures. The carbonation levels you'll reach with a given pressure depends on the temperature of the beer.

Just FWIW, 8 PSI and 12 PSI are not carbonation levels, they're pressures. The carbonation levels you'll reach with a given pressure depends on the temperature of the beer.

i have my fridge set on the warmest temp, because i'm cheap.....i'd have to whip out the IR Therm and check what temp.....think something like 42f or so.....at any rate i like my beer barley carbonated, tastes vary.....

Back