beginner needs advice plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrockbrew

Reaction score
im new on here and i have a question. i believe i racked to a secondary too soon. this is my first batch and i was a little too excited. in hindsight i dont think i even need a secondary...im making a dunleweizen from a kit...my og was 1.052....my fina fg should be somewhere around .013...im stuck around. .020...the temps been a steady 70 deg...what should i do...the reading hasnt dropped for 4 or 5 days. the taste is nice and hoppy (i tripled the hops) and slightly sweet and malty...id like a little more abv....

If the gravity hasn't dropped in days then it is time to bottle. If you want a strong beer it's safer to choose one that is formulated at a higher ABV level. However it sounds like you are already experimenting with this one so I'm guessing you don't mind taking some chances.

Each pound of DME or sugar will add about 1% ABV to a five gallon batch. It sounds like the final gravity is a little high, so I would go with a pound of sugar.

I have skipped "secondary" for Ales for about a year now and think that is the way to go. If it was extract they are kind of known to not ferment out all the way sometimes, especially if you just use the yeast in the kit, which might have been old. Read up on yeast starters and go that route next time. make a nice starter and get some oxygen in there for the yeast (shake the hell out of it if you don'thave access to pure O2) and that is your best bet to try to hit your FG.

Sounds like the 1.020 extract curse. One thing you could try is to add amylase. I would try a tiny amount..like 1/8th of a teaspoon, perhaps even less, and see what happens. You may need to pitch more yeast as well. Use something cheap like s-05.

Latest posts

Back