Beginner looking for good Kolsch recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscoCK

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

FNG here looking for a good Kolsch partial grain recipe. The only commercial Kolsch I've tried so far is Reissdorf (which is f'ing amazing btw) and I love the fruit notes this beer offers. To me, this is the perfect summer brew.

I am hoping to get close. Anyone out there have a recipe they'd be willing to share? Also, from the little I've read this beer may be cold conditioned? Any insight will help.

I've only done two partial mash kits, but I'm ready to start venturing away from the kits. I don't think it's a huge step, but if you're recipe has any nuances please include!

Thanks in advance!

What quantity of grain can you do in a partial mash? Pilsner malt and the correct yeast are the big keys here. Use the lightest dry malt extract you can find combined with a partial mash of as much pilsner malt and a touch of wheat malt if you like. German noble hops like a low alpha Hallertau or Spalt are good choices in that department. White Labs WLP029 or Wyeast 1007 would be my recommendation for yeast. Shoot for an OG of about 1.048 and IBUs of 16-18 (if you like Reinsdorf) or 22-24 if you want a little more impact.

4 lbs Pilsner Malt; Weyermann
.5 lbs Pale Wheat Malt; Weyermann
3 lbs Premier Light Dry
1 oz Hallertau (Pellets, 4.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz Hallertau (Pellets, 4.00 %AA) boiled 20 min.
Yeast : WYeast 1007 German Ale™

Back