Please recommend your favorite easy muscadine recipe for a beginner.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4evrplan

Reaction score
I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to wine. I've brewed exactly one batch of mead, but no wine, so I thought I'd get the community's opinions on what would be a good, easy, and fail proof recipe for muscadine grapes (especially easy). I think I'll be able to pick some this Saturday. I may have to freeze them for awhile before I can get around to making wine, in case that makes any difference. I like the idea of using wild yeast, but the vineyard is close to a road, so I probably shouldn't. Thanks in advance.

4 to 5 lbs. per gal. of muscadines, 1.5 to 2 lbs. sugar per gal., 1 tsp. yeast nutrient per gal. , 1 campden tablet per gal. , crushed and dissolved or 1/4 tsp metabisulphite per 6 gal. . Waite at least 12 hours then add 1/2 tsp per gal. of pectic enzyme. 24 hours after the metabisulphite, add your yeast. Starting the next day, push the fruit cap down each day. After 7 to 10 days, pull strainer bag out and rack wine into first secondary, filling to the neck of bottle or jug. Rack again after 5 weeks in the first secondary, to 2nd secondary, adding another dose of metabisulphite as a preservative and if you want to backsweeten, add 1/2 tsp per gal. of sorbate. Bottle when mature, 6 months old for a young, (10 to 11 %) or a year for a full, (12 to 14.5 %). I prefer to freeze and thaw any fruit I use beforehand. More fruit means more color, flavor and body, more sugar means more alcohol and dryness up to the yeast's alcohol tolerance. Most all the wine yeasts will do a good job with muscadines. My current preference for very dry is RC212 for dark and D47 for bronze.

Latest posts

Back