Beginner in need of some tips/direction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MassHole1388

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents,
I'm new to the home Brewing game and I figured I would throw my first question up so I could gain some insight from some of you seasoned vets.

I plan on doing my first brew in the coming weeks (just grabbing some last minute necessities)
Anyways, I was wondering where a good place to start as far as type of brew I should do to get me warmed up.
I was told to do a brown ale but honestly any of your suggestions would help me greatly. Also, any tips are welcomed as well!

Thanks ahead of time for your responses,

-Pete

What do you like to drink?

Brew that....

Unless what you like is some complicated thing, then brew something easy, instead.

No lagers, no fruit beers, no IPAs...

A nice simple Ale. brown, blonde, red, cream ... your choice... Just keep it simple for your first go.

My go-to easy brews are always the light SRM ales, no question. If you're doing all grain, it's a frugal way to start. If you're doing kit extract, by all means get what you like and follow the directions.
After a few brew sessions, you'll have a greater appreciation of where you want to go later.

I would go with a quality kit. Forget the directions on 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary and 3 weeks bottle conditioning that most recommend. Go about 14 days in primary. Control the temperature of the wort during fermentation to the mid sixties. Look up swamp cooler. Bottle and keep in a dark, room temperature place, for at least 2 weeks, probably 3. While that one is conditioning, get another one going. You will be surprised how fast they will disappear.

What do you like to drink?

Brew that....

Unless what you like is some complicated thing, then brew something easy, instead.

A nice simple Ale. brown, blonde, red, cream ... your choice... Just keep it simple for your first go.

I have a very diverse palate so honestly anything would work but you pretty much confirmed what I was already leaning towards.
I figured also Brewing something that even the most novice beer consumer would enjoy may be a great first brew and also give me a lot of feedback so I can obviously improve the next one.
Thank you for the input!

I would go with a quality kit. Forget the directions on 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary and 3 weeks bottle conditioning that most recommend. Go about 14 days in primary. Control the temperature of the wort during fermentation to the mid sixties. Look up swamp cooler. Bottle and keep in a dark, room temperature place, for at least 2 weeks, probably 3. While that one is conditioning, get another one going. You will be surprised how fast they will disappear.

Thank you, I will most definitely keep that in mind. I appreciate it!

My go-to easy brews are always the light SRM ales, no question. If you're doing all grain, it's a frugal way to start. If you're doing kit extract, by all means get what you like and follow the directions.
After a few brew sessions, you'll have a greater appreciation of where you want to go later.

Awesome, I was planning on doing an all grain to really reap the benefits and learn right off the bat. This information is for sure a great starting point.
thank you!

It doesn't get any easier than a SMaSH, single malt and single hop brew.

It gives you an opportunity to isolate flavors for future brews

Myself, I still brew extract beers.....will be brewing my 49th batch today, but I've heard that BIAB (brew in a bag) is a great shortcut method to learning all-grain brewing. JMO

The type of breer is irrelevant for the most part just don't brew a lager brew an ale...they're easier and more forgiving

Give us a rundown of your brew day plan....that's what will make you or break you

Find a good blonde ale recipe maybe. I make one for the restaurant where my wife is a chef, for the kitchen to drink.
Hit me up if you want it, comes out to about 6% at 70% efficiency

Start with a kit, mostly can't go wrong with it. And Single Malt Single Hop is an excellent starting point. Keeping it simple.

Awesome, I was planning on doing an all grain to really reap the benefits and learn right off the bat. This information is for sure a great starting point.
thank you!

If you're doing all grain right off the bat, I'm assuming BIAB? Get a good bag.

I have 3 go-to recipes from here on HBT that I try to keep in stock at all times....

1) Centennial Blonde
2) Cream of 3 Three crops
3) Yooper's Haus Ale

The 1st two will be liked by the BMC crowd, the 3rd is hoppy but not IPA hoppy...

I recommend a calculator for your water volumes, OG/FG estimates, IBUs etc.... I use brewtarget which is an opensource program similar to beersmith... The Priceless Calculator is quite handy as well...

Be aware of your pitch temperature (not too hot!) and your fermentation temps (mid 60s) and that active fermentation can be 5-10 degrees warmer than ambient. Get a party tub and look up swamp coolers for keeping your fermenter cool.... let it go in primary for 3 weeks, bottle and let it sit a room temp for another 1-2 weeks. For best results, 1 week in the fridge after that...

A brew day checklist is a good way to make sure you don't miss anything. Brewersfriend.com has a good one. Being prepared will make for a good first brew.

As far as what to brew I agree with what was already said, something you like. I'm a fan of reds and ambers.

I'll amend that. Instead of no lagers, nothing that will require temperature control. Know your ambient temps. There are some lager or pseudo-lager yeasts that actually work ok at low ale temps, but research this before you jump into it.

No high alcohol / high gravity beer. How people define that kind of varies. I'd recommend nothing above 7.5%. They need to be babied a little for the yeasts to do their job.

No sours. Equipment clean-up can be a pain after that and anything that isn't a kettle-soured berliner weisse is probably going to take several months before you bottle.

Back